FORUMS: list search recent posts

Still mask on animated layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Grafton
Still mask on animated layer
on Sep 8, 2016 at 8:47:40 am

Hello,

I've recently made the switch from Apple Motion to AE. I don't find AE as intuitive as Motion but I'm sure it will click into place at some point – I know it's a much more powerful tool.

One thing I can't seem to figure out is masks. I know how to create a mask within a layer but this follows the keyframes already assigned to the shape.

I have a ball (shape layer) that I need to disappear behind a line. If I create a mask, the mask follows the bounce of the ball. How do I create a mask on a separate layer to avoid this? Or is there a way around this?

In Motion you would just create a shape then cmd + Shift + M to turn it into a mask – Simples.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Still mask on animated layer
on Sep 8, 2016 at 10:06:25 am

[Mark Grafton] "I have a ball (shape layer) that I need to disappear behind a line. If I create a mask, the mask follows the bounce of the ball. How do I create a mask on a separate layer to avoid this? Or is there a way around this? In Motion you would just create a shape then cmd + Shift + M to turn it into a mask – Simples."

In Ae, create a shape layer, then use it as a track matte.

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/alpha-channels-masks-mattes.htm...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Mark Grafton
Re: Still mask on animated layer
on Sep 8, 2016 at 10:14:59 am

Thanks mate, I have managed to cheat it via precomp but will try this next time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]