FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE CC DNxHR Codec Trillions of Colors Washed Out Issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Thompson
AE CC DNxHR Codec Trillions of Colors Washed Out Issue
on Sep 5, 2016 at 10:07:48 am

Hi everyone,

For the last 3 years or so I have been running After Effects CS6 on a Windows 7 PC. I typically export a file with the AVID DNxHR codec which has been great, then I export that file from Premiere as .H264 with no issues. I have just purchased a new PC (Windows 10) and decided to get AE CC in stead of CS6. Today I have imported one of my DNxHR .mov exports that I did a month ago on the previous computer, and now it is washed out as if the contrast has been lowered (I don't have this issue on the older PC).

My new PC has the NVIDIA GTX 1080 GPU, the previous PC had the GTX 680Ti. I have seen forums talking about changing NVidia dynamic range settings to Full (0-255) which I have done but not seeing any change (the previous computer has always had it set to limited). I also checked the AE Project settings compared to the old PC and they are both the same:

Working Space - None

Linearize Working Space - Unticked

Blend Colors Using 1.0 Gamma - Unticked

Match Legacy After Effects QuickTime Gamma Adjustments - now ticked (but can't see any difference)

Compensate For Scene-referred Profiles - Ticked

Changing the projects bit depth makes no noticeable difference either.

The only thing I can see different between AE CC reading that file on this new PC, and AE CS6 reading the same file on the older PC is that the old PC says the file has 'millions of colors' and it looks great/not washed out. But AE CC reads the file as having 'trillions of colors' and it is washed out. QuickTime itself says the file has 'millions of colors' and when I exported it originally the DNxHR settings were set to 'millions of colors'. So I'm pretty certain the washed out look has to do with AE CC reading it as having 'trillions of colors' for some reason.

Does anyone know anyway I can get AE CC to read it as 'millions of colors'? Or any other way to see it without the washed out look?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Ryan

Return to posts index

Frank Feijen
Re: AE CC DNxHR Codec Trillions of Colors Washed Out Issue
on Sep 5, 2016 at 6:48:03 pm

What did you choose in the codec settings, 709 or RGB?

Return to posts index

Ryan Thompson
on Sep 5, 2016 at 7:39:23 pm

I use RGB but I've just tried 709 and that makes the contrast normal again, I just don't understand how other programs and previous After Effects are reading the same file differently

Return to posts index

Frank Feijen
on Sep 5, 2016 at 7:46:06 pm

I believe I have my settings 'wrong' as well in order to deliver it 'right' back to the avid editors, it's another case of trial and error workflow adaptation...
I receive my sourcefiles from avid as 709, but have to render them as rgb for them to look the same when importing back in avid...

Return to posts index

Ryan Thompson
on Sep 5, 2016 at 8:44:59 pm

I see, are there down sides to 709 if that's what I need to use from now on? Frustrating, I will have to re-export everything from the past couple months, I've tried to match the contrast with brightness and contrast effect on the washed out files but it looks like its more of a dynamic range/information issue so I can't get it to match exactly the same

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 5, 2016 at 9:01:20 pm

try AE's utility profile converter input 0-255 rec. 709 and output rec. 709 16-235. That should fix it. They changed how video and rgb get interpreted in the later cc vs avid imports.

Return to posts index

Ryan Thompson
on Sep 5, 2016 at 9:46:17 pm

I'm sorry to ask but how do I do that? I don't think I know my way around AE well enough, many thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 5, 2016 at 11:24:58 pm

Choose Effect > Utility > Color Profile Converter to apply the Color Profile Converter to the adjustment layer.
set input :
-rec.709

set output:
rec. 709 (16-235)

Return to posts index

Ryan Thompson
on Sep 6, 2016 at 6:35:43 am

Thank you so much!! It actually worked for me swapping those two rec 709 options around on the input and output, now the footage looks perfect again, thanks so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]