FORUMS: list search recent posts

action safe area very small on presentation TV

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hope Holmesby
action safe area very small on presentation TV
on Aug 31, 2016 at 9:38:55 pm

Hi...thank you for reading this.

Made a presentation 1024x576, (16.9-square pixels) motion graphics in AE.
Burned to DVD

When played on the Venues' tv, about half is cut off. Only red arrowed area showed.

I had made the actions to be displayed using the 2 farthest action safe, title safe areas, but when playing it turned out that the action was only safe to where the red arrows are.

How would one know in future, how much 'safe' space one will have at any venues display / playing place?

Should I have made the original comp size much smaller: instead of the 1024, maybe 680? or would that have helped. It seems to me that 16.9 was not the proportion of the red arrowed area?

Should I have check the dvd players settings first? The TV settings? Can venues tell u things when you call?

when i measure that area it is about 690 x 460....does any of this make sence to you all?

Any ideas, comments?

Thank you so much,
Warmly,
Hope

Life is here to enjoy.

iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 2TB;
Mac OS 10.9,
16 GB RAM;
1 La Cie external HDs 1 TB;
After Effects CS5.5;
Sound Track Pro 3.0.1;
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3;
Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: action safe area very small on presentation TV
on Aug 31, 2016 at 10:45:48 pm

If you really played this back on a DVD, you should know that all authored DVD's -- the kind that every DVD player in the world knows how to play -- are standard-definition. Depending on your part of the world, that's either 720x576 @ 25fps or 720x480 @ 29.97 fps.

The client should indeed be able to provide you with the requirements for successful playback. These requirements include the playback medium, frame rate, horizontal & vertical dimensions, and oftentimes the media container & codec. If the client doesn't provide them, you have to ask... and depending on the knowledge of the client, you may have to do some digging. Sadly, that's part of the job. It's rarely cut-and-dried.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Sep 1, 2016 at 12:16:24 am

Hi Dave....

Thank you for this....I lived in Iowa for 6 yrs....Fairfield.
You have helped me before, thank u for this again.

Ok, well that is VERY good to know.

720x576 @ 25fps : so this size is 5.4 ratio, whereas the one i made was 16.9

and according to this schematic, if it is accurate:

The only area that was seen, I am pretty sure, is the gold 4.3 Action Safe area.

So if I do want the widescreen proportions, for a normal DVD, which you are indicating is 5.4, then one has to letterbox the 16.9 in that 5.4 space? Or redo the movie to be 5.4.

In Toast, an old version, i burned a 'video dvd' and formated it nicely w one button, to make it simple to play at this presentation.

Standard digital, is partly what I had done - smile- ...but it is 'widescreen' SD : 1024x576 @25fps (Pal)

So you are saying, I guess, in terminology I am used to, that DVDs don't show / play widescreen by default?

Our in house DVD player, one can, if going into the settings, change the settings to 16.9. and the TV too. But it is not simple to do. One has to call up the menus in both and go there and change.

What do you think?
Thanks so much, again.

Warmly,
Hope

Life is here to enjoy.

Mac OS 10.9,
16 GB RAM;
After Effects CS5.5;
Sound Track Pro 3.0.1;
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3;
Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 1, 2016 at 3:36:57 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 1, 2016 at 3:44:15 pm

Hope you liked Fairfield -- It reminds me a lot of Mount Pleasant, one of my favorite towns. Fairfield has a really pretty town square, and the area around it is nifty, too. Good places to eat -- there's a cafe in the area that has a great tenderloin, and I'm a sucker for a good tenderloin. Maharishi U.... well, it's interesting, too.

In AE there are composition presets. There's one for PAL D1-DV Widescreen SQUARE PIXEL. That's the preset you want to use for your animation & design work. When the project's ready for rendering, nest that comp in another comp using another preset -- the PAL D1-DV Widescreen; you render from that second comp.

When the render is complete -- using a good intermediate codec -- you can make the mpeg2 & ac3 files for DVD authoring using Adobe Media Encoder. It has a preset for just that purpose. IN the DVD authoring software, you'll doubtlessly have to tell it that you're making a widescreen DVD; it'll know what to do.

That ought to do the trick for you. Write back with any problems.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Nov 6, 2016 at 10:47:06 pm
Last Edited By Hope Holmesby on Nov 6, 2016 at 10:48:17 pm

Hi Dave....

Thank you for this....what a kind and good person!
Ok, so a month later I respond.....wow...just so you know I have been thinking I need to get back to you. It is been in the back of my mind all this time.
What you said has really helped.

Everything worked out really well after this thread.
Thank you!

[Dave LaRonde] "Hope you liked Fairfield -- It reminds me a lot of Mount Pleasant, one of my favorite towns. Fairfield has a really pretty town square, and the area around it is nifty, too. Good places to eat -- there's a cafe in the area that has a great tenderloin, and I'm a sucker for a good tenderloin. Maharishi U.... well, it's interesting, too."

Yes, completely charming, I agree. I am from LA originally, so it was quite a change. They say the place has more restaurants per capita than San Francisco. hee hee

Have taken some classes at the Maharishi university...lol. Am a TMer from way back...smile...

Question, if you dont mind:
1. DVD Burning: will burning a movie: a square pixeled Photo Jpeg 1024x576 be the same viewing from the dvd as the 720x576 anamorphic mpeg2?

2. why mpeg2 for dvd? Does it really matter what codec, or the dvd turns movies into mpeg2, so why not just add in that format?

3. Toast or other burning options compresses the videos so no longer clear. Yes?

DVD player:
-I realized the DVD player was set to SD, so changed the settings to 16.9 in the set up options of the player. (but who else, when playing the dvd would do that?

-Most dvd players are set to 4.3 whatever it is called? and NOT 16.9, yes?

What do you think?
Warmly,
Hope

btw, did you have a nice Halloween....hee hee

Life is here to enjoy.

Mac OS 10.9,
16 GB RAM;
After Effects CS5.5;
Sound Track Pro 3.0.1;
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3;