FORUMS: list search recent posts

OK, so After Effects CC Previews. WtH?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
doland ruiz
OK, so After Effects CC Previews. WtH?
on Aug 26, 2016 at 9:01:08 pm

I've searched and cannot find why, when i hit the space bar or Shift Space (set to skip a frame and play from current time) sometimes it just plays without forming that green line. It therefore plays a really low res, very pixelated preview.

Not sure how, but I click on the timeline, or I drag the playhead to somewhere else or I simply try that space bar again and then it works (now forms the green line along with a hires preview).

How do I get it to play a hies preview every time or how does it work??

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: OK, so After Effects CC Previews. WtH?
on Aug 27, 2016 at 11:22:26 am

What version number of Ae CC are you referring to? The preview system has changed a lot in the last few versions. It sounds like you are still on 13.2 or lower, but please correct me if my assumption is wrong.

In 13.2 and lower, 0 on the NumPad starts a RAM preview, where Ae fills its cache (that green line area) before attempting playback. Spacebar starts playback right away, without filling the cache first, which only ever really works if you're already in a cached area of the timeline. 0 is usually what you want to use to initiate a preview.

(In 13.5 and above, everything is different.)

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

doland ruiz
on Aug 27, 2016 at 5:20:50 pm

I have the latest, just downloaded it from adobe cloud. I said that spacebar two player full resolution without skipping any friends from the beginning, and I said zero to skip one frame and play from current time. But either way, whenever I hit them, many times it will just play without forming the green line, which I see is the cache. The thing is, I can get it to build the cache but I don't really know the actual way to do it. It just seems random like half the time it does and half the time it doesn't.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 29, 2016 at 2:20:57 pm

In Ae CC 2014 and below, the renderer and the UI were locked together. In CC 2015 and above, the renderer and the UI have been separated. This is part of the major re-architecture efforts in Ae to make it more modern.

When you press the Spacebar, the default preview behavior of Ae is to begin playback, limiting to real-time if possible, and allowing the renderer to run ahead of real-time playback (if resources permit). If you'd prefer to force Ae to cache first, look in the Preview panel and enable "Cache before playback."

Here's some background on the major changes to Preview since Ae CC 2015:
https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/previews-in-after-effects-cc-2015-13-...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]