FORUMS: list search recent posts

RepeTile Gaps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Rosenberg
RepeTile Gaps
on Aug 26, 2016 at 4:19:43 pm

A lot of times when I try to extend a layer with RepeTile there will be a tiny little gap where it repeats so it's not totally seamless. The same thing happens when I try to use Motion Tile instead. Has anyone else encountered this or figured out why this happens?

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: RepeTile Gaps
on Aug 26, 2016 at 4:23:08 pm

I would imagine this could happen if the edges of the layer are not exactly at pixel edges, i.e. the layer has been scaled so the resulting layer is not an exact number of pixels, but fractions thereof. Just logically speaking, I haven't studied the issue.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Adam Rosenberg
on Aug 26, 2016 at 4:30:38 pm

That makes sense, but in this particular case the layer is an Illustrator layer that extends exactly to the edge of the Artboard. It snaps automatically to the edge so I know it's exact. Yet it still has a slight gap when repeating with RepeTile.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 26, 2016 at 5:44:01 pm

That is likely due to AE's antialiasing of the Illustrator file. Try using the alpha add blend mode.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Adam Rosenberg
on Aug 26, 2016 at 5:51:15 pm

Tried that, but still didn't work. I've actually seen that method elsewhere, and it works when hiding edges between two layers, but since this is just an effect on a single layer there's no actual blending going on.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 26, 2016 at 6:06:37 pm

I was afraid of that. You might try applying a Levels effect and pushing the alpha channel before the RepeTile effect. Or maybe a Matte Choker...

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Adam Rosenberg
on Aug 26, 2016 at 6:27:24 pm

Matte Choker worked! The extended part was black though, so I had to apply a Fill effect after it to get the right color (the layer is a solid grey). Not sure how this would work for a layer that wasn't a solid color. But this worked for me so thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 26, 2016 at 6:42:55 pm

Hooray!

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]