FORUMS: list search recent posts

Chosing colours for solids for the web

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Smith
Chosing colours for solids for the web
on Aug 22, 2016 at 11:20:03 am

This question will probably create confusion and may morph from how it begins. I apologize in advance for that!

Background: Imagine a video that just has coloured squares and text.

OK, so, what is the largest number of colours that behave nicely on youtube and/or the computers people use to watch you tube?

And where can I find a list of such colours?

Fingers crossed.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Chosing colours for solids for the web
on Aug 22, 2016 at 1:42:55 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 22, 2016 at 2:54:37 pm

That's a tough call. We don't know enough about the nature of the animation.

Here's a hypothetical situation using your premise: the forces of evil are overcome by love and gentility. The intial colors of the squares might be black, red, orange and brown. They would transform somehow into squares of white and pastel colors.

Two different moods. Two totally different color palettes.

Once you can define what's happening in your animation and what you want to portray, you'll have a better idea about colors.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 22, 2016 at 3:40:13 pm

There's no strict "web colors" for video like in html or such. Most internet video services/players and monitors that people are probably watching on support only 8 bit video so that limitation is something to keep in mind.

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Aug 24, 2016 at 1:20:44 pm

Thanks both.

So Dave, imagine that you have a simple frame that is the white words "TEXT" on a solid background. Only you decide that it would look great with a certain turquoise background. You even know the hex for it. So what do you do? Do you use that turquoise? Or do convert it to some other better behaved turquoise hex? If so, then how do you get the better behaved turquoise hex?

I actually have a lot of flexibility vis a vis colours. But I don't know, for example, whether #839690 a good colour. Is it??

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 24, 2016 at 1:28:44 pm

[Jerry Smith] "But I don't know, for example, whether #839690 a good colour. Is it??"

[Jerry Smith] "So what do you do? Do you use that turquoise?"

You can use whatever you want as long as it fits the mood/idea/brand/whatever you're trying to make. There are all kinds of color schemes and you can find examples over here: https://color.adobe.com/

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Aug 24, 2016 at 2:18:32 pm

I mean is it a good colour for computer videos? Or is a nearby colour better? It's not an aesthetic discussion.

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Aug 24, 2016 at 2:21:19 pm

Maybe this will work:

If I am only using 6 colours in a web video, does it matter what they are as long as they aren't ugly?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 24, 2016 at 3:11:58 pm

[Jerry Smith] "does it matter what they are"

No.

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Aug 24, 2016 at 3:51:58 pm

So when colours look different on different machines, all of them are looking different? And not just a few?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 24, 2016 at 4:23:26 pm

[Jerry Smith] "So when colours look different on different machines, all of them are looking different? And not just a few?"

You cannot guarantee identical color rendition on any two different machines, unless the entire pipeline is color-managed. And even then, there are limitations and caveats.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 24, 2016 at 4:20:18 pm

[Jerry Smith] "If I am only using 6 colours in a web video, does it matter what they are as long as they aren't ugly?"

Because H.264 usually uses chroma subsampling (meaning that color information is stored at a lower resolution than brightness information), you can sometimes get fringing or blocky edge artifacts where two solid colors meet, especially if they are complementary, and especially when they meet at diagonals or curves.

I'd suggest doing a quick test, rendering out a few frames and encoding them to H.264, to see how this will affect your color choices.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]