FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions for style?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Reilly
Suggestions for style?
on Aug 20, 2016 at 11:11:57 am

Hi, all. Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Short version: If you were to embark on a series of short videos to be produced weekly for about a year, what style would you go with that would be quick and sustainable (not too time-consuming)?

Longer version: My eldest just went to college for the first time, and since he's the reason I got into motion graphics to begin with -- and we've had a ton of fun creating videos for his various school activities (and yeah, okay, for impressing the girls, lol) -- I wanted to create fun, short, quick weekly video summaries of "life back home" to send him while he's at school.

Trouble is, pesky stuff like work, life, family, writing, etc. means I can't spend a TON of time on this. So...what style would you use if you were doing this? Whiteboard seems too corporate, live action seems too problematic (not always going to be able to film summaries of stuff like "your brother got a job at the grocery store"), but I don't want a style that will eat up a billion hours, because I'd probably get through two weeks and give up.

I'm leaning toward stop motion, but would love to hear your wise suggestions. Obviously these will be leaning toward casual, humorous, light, fun...

Thanks, and hope to start participating more, now that I've taken the leap!

Kate

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Suggestions for style?
on Aug 20, 2016 at 5:02:43 pm

I'm an empty-nester. You know what I'd do? I'd make videos with the at-home kids for school. The eldest? He's at college. He's busy. At least he should be. It sounds like you already have a lot of balls in the air. It would be a Right Royal Pain to produce a "news from home" video with any regularity. I say stick to Facetime for the oldest. Besides, the other kids need sone attention, too.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kate Reilly
on Aug 20, 2016 at 7:32:36 pm

Hi, all. Long-timer lurker, second time poster.

So, totally curious, no real motivation for asking, just super interested, just for fun...if you had to choose your go-to style of mographs/videos, if you woke up one day and were like, "Oh, I think I'm just going to bang this idea out super quick," what style/method would you choose?

Thanks,
Kate "carpe diem and squeeze every second out of every minute" Reilly

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 20, 2016 at 8:03:27 pm

If a job brief would be "let's just bang something out super quick" then I'd just slap on some random animation presets.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 20, 2016 at 9:48:54 pm

Y'know, ma 'am, that's a tough call. We don't know what you like to do. Like you ask the kids sometimes -- "Do I look like a mind reader?"

I have some stuff I can bang out in a few minutes, but I've been doing it for years and I can do it in my sleep.

Can you do stuff in your sleep? Use it.

Looking for something fast 'n easy? Do like Tero sez: check out animation presets. Take a weekend afternoon. See what they do. Find the ones you think are cool. Use 'em.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kate Reilly
on Aug 20, 2016 at 10:10:19 pm

Hi, all. Long-time lurker, last-time poster.

Thanks, Tero, for offering what you do in a pinch. As a long-time professional in the publishing industry, over the decades, I've shared info and received info from others that help us brainstorm, grow, and learn from each other as we face different challenges, so Tero, I appreciate your input in this particular industry -- one that I've only been in a couple years as I explore new ways of communication besides the written word.

I'm all set now; I'll take it from here, so we can close this thread out. Thanks!

Kate "didn't say tell me what to do; just asked what your faves are" Reilly

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 21, 2016 at 7:35:54 am

You might also get fast, easy and neat looking stuff with a few keyframes combined with expressions.

http://www.motionscript.com/articles/bounce-and-overshoot.html

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 22, 2016 at 7:49:19 am

This could also work for your purposes, highly automated from the looks of it:

http://aescripts.com/motionmonkey/

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved