FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing a floor with Ice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Wilton-King
Replacing a floor with Ice
on Aug 4, 2016 at 1:14:26 am

I am still fairly new to after effects and 3ds max so I would like to ask some more experienced users on the subject.

I need to make/create a room where the floor is made of ice, I also need to create the effect of a key stuck in the ice. And for the trickiest part, a character is going to have to cut through the ice with some sort of sharp object to get the key from the ice. I have access to after effects, 3ds Max, Maya, an Ice Rink (if needed for any reason) and if I need to make props or get a green screen I am able to get that too.

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated as I really dont know where to start with this. Thankyou

Let The Light Bring You Darkness

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Replacing a floor with Ice
on Aug 4, 2016 at 6:54:07 am

Several possible approaches.

I would probably build the room entirely in 3D so that I could make the floor ice in the model, then shoot the person on green screen and composite him in to the render. If it has to match an existing room, a camera projection from a photograph is an option.

For digging the key out of ice, you might want to try and figure out how to do that practically, maybe freezing the key in a vat of water in a freezer and do it as a closeup once you've established the setting.

Return to posts index

Jack Wilton-King
on Aug 4, 2016 at 11:40:53 am

Okay thanks for the fast response and ideas, I think building the entire room in 3d would be the best way to go about that matter thank you for that

Return to posts index

Jack Wilton-King
on Aug 4, 2016 at 12:01:31 pm

As for the breaking of the ice floor, would using cgi and green screen stuff be the best way to go about it?

Let The Light Bring You Darkness

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 4, 2016 at 6:51:29 pm

For long and medium shots where you won't see the key anyways, you can do the 3D room with green screened person. The closeups where the key shows would likely be easier and more convincing done practically (with actual key frozen in real ice).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]