FORUMS: list search recent posts

Use Choker or Refine hard matte to clean up noisiness in Difference Matte?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Zou
Use Choker or Refine hard matte to clean up noisiness in Difference Matte?
on Aug 3, 2016 at 3:53:35 pm
Last Edited By Andy Zou on Aug 3, 2016 at 3:54:28 pm

Hey y'all, here's the pic that's all the explanation you probably need:
http://i.imgur.com/SBd64sJ.jpg

Currently in Premiere, but Will go to AE and add refine matte or choker there (is that silly? Should I have gone to AE from the first place? I just find I work a little quicker with the layer system et al in premiere, and there might be some frame-sized edits)

As you can see, each successive difference matte puts noise onto the layer beneath. (Suit character puts noise on the blue shirts, dark blue puts noise onto the light blue) Turning Matching Softness up will reduce the noise of the topmost layer, but start introducing transparency in the skin tones.

I'm wondering what the best tool is to reduce the noise on the layers beneath (the blue shirts) without compromising the matte of the foreground character. A tool that takes small-area splotches and reduces them, while expanding the spots that should be opaque?

For the rough I have been just doing a mask around the characters, and will probably do that when they don't overlap. But when they do, what is the suggested tool?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Use Choker or Refine hard matte to clean up noisiness in Difference Matte?
on Aug 3, 2016 at 7:20:44 pm

Yes, you can eliminate all that tiny detail noise plus a lot of the fringe with either effect.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Andy Zou
Re: Use Choker or Refine hard matte to clean up noisiness in Difference Matte?
on Aug 20, 2016 at 5:03:39 am

Here's the final product! Hope you enjoy!

Had a solid time learning more about the limitations of the difference Matte as well as how to use the Refine Hard Matte and Matte Choker. Also even found uses for Mask Expansion, which I never really thought of a good use for until I was selectively masking problem edges but needed to have a manual "inside mask."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]