FORUMS: list search recent posts

the best video format to export from ae in windows

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mikko Kovasiipi
the best video format to export from ae in windows
on Aug 2, 2016 at 7:21:56 am

Hello

I've used mac before and I've always used prores codec to export movies out from after effects. Now I have windows version of AE and since the prores codec is apple format, I can't use it anymore. So what would be the next best choise to use in Windows? Or is the prores codec available on windows?

Thanks

Mikko

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: the best video format to export from ae in windows
on Aug 2, 2016 at 1:27:42 pm

The short version of the long answer: it depends on what you need to do with your export.

The long version of the short answer: Adobe licensed CineForm [link] a few years ago, so we use CineForm in a QuickTime wrapper for most intermediates (master files that will subsequently be encoded to another format for delivery). CineForm supports YUV and RGB video, CineForm supports10- and 12-bit depths, CineForm delivers quality/file sizes options comparable to ProRes, CineForm suffers more aesthetically-pleasing artifacts than ProRes does, and CineForm supports alpha.

QuickTime with Animation codec is an 8-bit only, lossless option that supports alpha. Good for archival, not so good for direct use as the file sizes can be considerable.

For PC-based ProRes transcoding, there are a few options ranging from an unsupported product like ffmpeg to an Apple-licensed product like Assimilate SCRATCH; we use the latter when we have to deliver ProRes from a PC.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Mike Sevigny
on Aug 2, 2016 at 10:17:09 pm

Walter's got some great solutions there.

Here's another: to encode Prores4444 on Windows.
http://www.cinemartin.com/cinec/
It's pricey but your clients on OSX will never know the difference.
It also encodes to other rare formats.

Mike

Return to posts index

Mikko Kovasiipi
on Aug 8, 2016 at 12:31:35 pm

Thank you Walter and Mike!
I tried that CineForm codec but i can't open it either VLC nor QuickTime player. Is there some codec pack I need to download?

Mikko

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 8, 2016 at 12:48:41 pm

Adobe licensed CineForm for Creative Cloud; it's a GoPro product. You might try downloading the GoPro Desktop App to install the QuickTime codec, or Kolor's VLC GoPro CineForm codec for VLC.

Personally, I use Telestream Switch as my player of choice on Windows.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Mikko Kovasiipi
on Aug 9, 2016 at 10:19:14 am

I noticed that this format is not good for us. It doesn't allow different frame sizes like 1080x1920 which is full HD in portrait. We make a lot of digital signage screens and there are all sorts of sizes. I don't know if the QuickTime with PNG compression is the best?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 9, 2016 at 7:29:47 pm

Yeah, the CineForm format constraints are a weird bummer.

Both QuickTime PNG and Animation codec (at 100%) are lossless for 8-bit video. In terms of file size, QuickTime PNG will save you disk space on photographic imagery; QuickTime Animation will save you disk space on graphic design (fields of flat color).

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Mikko Kovasiipi
on Aug 11, 2016 at 6:44:36 am

That PNG takes waay too much space. Can't really use it. After 200, 20 second spots our file server is full. 20 second takes about 800 megs. :| There got to be some format close to ProRess...

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 11, 2016 at 7:28:06 am

What is it that you're actually trying to do? Is this your own advertisement thing or someone elses? What are you running on what?

Return to posts index

Mikko Kovasiipi
on Aug 11, 2016 at 7:58:01 am

Hi. Sorry about that, I should have been more clear about this. We have a advertising agency, and we are doing a lot of digital signage and our workflow is like this. Mostly we are using After Effects and from there we are rendering to ProRes MOV from which we make all the final formats, usually full hd (but there can also be something like 682x948 and some other weird resolution screen) mp4 and smaller previews for our customers. This works just fine when we are doing with Macs, but now for a reason, I need to use windows pc and I'm looking for a equivalent format as ProRes is. Something that has good compress/image quality as ProRes has and supports all kinds of resolutions.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 11, 2016 at 8:19:23 am

So basically you're looking for a format for your master files? Have you tried DNxHR? It _should_ support custom resolutions and it's free.

Return to posts index

Mikko Kovasiipi
on Aug 11, 2016 at 10:58:09 am

Yes, I'm looking a format for master files. I tried that DNxHR, and it looks promising. The Avid Meridien Compressed -codec supports non-standard resolutions. Other I think stretches to standard resolutions. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 11, 2016 at 8:21:04 am

[Mike Sevigny] "Here's another: to encode Prores4444 on Windows.
http://www.cinemartin.com/cinec/
It's pricey but your clients on OSX will never know the difference. "

Yes they will because Cinec is terrible. It looks the same on Windows machines but if you bring it to a Mac the gamma is way too dark. We stopped using it and started using a Mac for our mastering needs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]