FORUMS: list search recent posts

De Flicker

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miki Kaspruk
De Flicker
on Jul 27, 2016 at 8:55:46 pm

Has anyone found any good techniques for getting rid of a flicker?

The De-Flicker effect on Premier doesn't really do a lot. I have tried a plug in - Digital Anarchy, which worked very well but they add a watermark to the footage unless you buy it at an extortionate price.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks alot

Miki x

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: De Flicker
on Jul 28, 2016 at 12:42:03 am

digital anarchy is only $149. revision deflicker is $249. The reason? They work. There aren't really many free or cheap ways to fix advanced problems. There are some old ways like:

AE's color stabilizer
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/color-correction-effects.html

or msu's free virtualdub filter
http://www.compression.ru/video/deflicker/index_en.html

or my AE template that uses shadow/highlighter filter as a script to average the total screen flicker(good for old film or timelapse)
https://f1.creativecow.net/6154/auto-white-balance-cs3-and-up

but those older methods probably can't solve advanced issues likes rolling lines on TV that the expensive plugins can do.

Return to posts index

André Valença
on Apr 11, 2017 at 3:47:50 am

Hi,

I'm quite new at After Effects, though I've been learning some new things these past couple of months. So bare with me, if you please, Chris.

Thing is, I'm shooting a 12fps stop-motion animation with relatively low budget and me and the crew are trying to be cautious about flickering: by choosing the most adequate lights in our reach, placing ourselves in the darkest possible studio, carefully setting up the camera and even wearing black/grey outfits. I mean, it's our first stop-motion short film, and evidently there are a few missteps along the way, but we sure are trying our best. The problem is that, even with though we're paying attention, there's still some flickering in the final result. It's not horrendous - it actually is smoother than thought it would be -, but it's still there and we'd like to have the cleanest image possible at the end.

I've been searching for a deflicker plugin or way to solve this issue with After Effects's tools. Color Stabilizer has not been of any help. There's a bit of result with Auto-Levels, but we're not quite there yet. Those softwares you've mentioned are expensive for our modest, Brazilian-based movie (dollars are not exactly the cheapest currency there is). I believe your template may just be enough for our problems, but I don't really know how it works, since I'm still sort of a noob. Could you refer me to a step by step tutorial, or be kind enough to explain me how to use it?

Thanks and sorry for the long explanation,
André Valença

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Apr 11, 2017 at 10:35:47 am

if you enable the hidden text layer and scroll Gamma Clamp in control layer at gamma*10 so that the text box reads 25, it will
fix timelapse and old movie's flicker.

Return to posts index

André Valença
on Apr 13, 2017 at 3:44:26 am

Thanks,
I'll try that and see if it works for my situation!
André

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Apr 16, 2017 at 12:30:34 am

I had a good experience with GBDeflicker for a stop motion short I had to composite. it sells at 59$

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]