FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting keyframes in between frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Smith
Setting keyframes in between frames
on Jul 19, 2016 at 1:36:00 am

Many presets put keyframes in between frames. And if you stretch some keyframes you can get them in between frames.

Is there a way to just set a keyframe in between two frames?

Relatedly, is there a way to nudge audio/video by a fraction of a frame?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Setting keyframes in between frames
on Jul 19, 2016 at 2:20:27 am

The UI always snaps keyframes to frame boundaries. You can work around this by animating in a different frame rate than you intend to output.

I must confess I'm very curious why you'd like to do this, though!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Jul 20, 2016 at 3:56:49 pm

It would help for syncing and time remapping. Look at it this way: Adobe opts for interframe placement when they allow you to stretch a set of keyframes by a random amount. They don't snap those keyframes to the boundary. Whatever reason you could give for their wanting/needing that freedom should suffice for me. :)

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Jul 20, 2016 at 6:30:01 pm

You can utilize that very "stretch" feature to place keyframes in between frames. For instance, to get 1/10 keyframe precision, place a temporary keyframe one frame before the keyframe you want to adjust and another one 10 frames after. Select all three and alt-drag the last one to move the original keyframe by 1/10 keyframe increments. Delete extra keyframes afterwards.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 20, 2016 at 6:34:40 pm

[Jerry Smith] "It would help for syncing and time remapping."

I'm still trying to understand what you're trying to do. A keyframe in the middle of the frame will not have any effect until the next whole frame, so what does it matter whether it happens half a frame before or right on the frame boundary?

[Jerry Smith] "ook at it this way: Adobe opts for interframe placement when they allow you to stretch a set of keyframes by a random amount. They don't snap those keyframes to the boundary. Whatever reason you could give for their wanting/needing that freedom should suffice for me. :)"

If they quantized the keyframe placement to frame boundaries, changing the duration of a range of keyframes would alter the the relationship between keyframes and in some cases the keyframes themselves. You couldn't faithfully reverse the operation, you couldn't faithfully concatenate operations, and you might even force the overlap (thus deletion) of close keyframes.

In other words, I get why this is important when adjusting the duration of a range of keyframes, but not why it's important when setting a range in the first place. But that may be a failure of imagination on my part. If you can help me understand what you're trying to do, I'd like to help you solve this problem.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Jul 20, 2016 at 10:57:16 pm

I'm not having any particular urgent problem. But I do a lot of time remapping and the lack of decimal placement and decimal precision is a daily nuisance. For example, I frequently look at the time that is being remapped and see 2.17 for four frames in a row. But they are all different because of what is going on in the precomp. So AE is working with fractions of a frame but not letting me directly access them. That may not be a bug, but it's certainly not a feature!

If you want a simple non-time remapping example, imagine you want opacity to climb from 12.5 to 37.5 to 62.5 to 87.5 over four frames. Sure, you can enter 12.5 in the first and 87.5 in the fourth. But it'd be a lot easier if you could just enter 0 a half frame early and 100 a half frame later. It's especially annoying if you're not sure how much opacity you want and are just quickly trying out different things.

I'd also like to be able to nudge audio by some subframe fraction. Maybe I've synced things, but the audio gets tweaked and now I want to move the video up 10ms. I'm out of luck. Video may be discrete, but audio certainly isn't. I have to go back into an audio program to crop the audio.

Please nobody mention Premier Pro. That wouldn't fit my workflow and I'm not going to explain why! Anyway, thanks for the help. I have my answer(s).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]