FORUMS: list search recent posts

Luma Matte keying problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Saviola
Luma Matte keying problem
on Jul 15, 2016 at 11:13:46 pm

I have some footage that i have got a perfect luma matte yet I am still getting white around the hair.
Does any one know what else i can try?

I have tinted my picture and applied levels and added some blur for the edges yet whatever i do is giving me the same result?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Luma Matte keying problem
on Jul 16, 2016 at 12:02:01 am

Considering you have some pretty strong backlight on the subject, I'd say you might be able to leave it as-is. I'd be more worried about the schmutz at the bottom on the luma matte layer.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

William Saviola
on Jul 16, 2016 at 9:54:28 pm

Yes it is a good luma key so why would it still be showing up white around the hair? It does not make sense

When I put a background behind it there is too much white around the hair which is causing a problem.

What's the Schmutz? The black square on the right? I was just going to roto that out.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 17, 2016 at 4:02:56 pm

I've got a theory on the line: you constructed the luma matte out of video from a camera that recorded in low color resolution; a DSLR, perhaps. Chroma keying is all about the edges, and such cameras aren't great with edges.

I bet you can lose the line byprecomping the video & matte to knock out the background, then applying AE's Refine Matte effect to the precomp.

As to "schmutz" -- it's a Yiddish word that roughly translates to "icky, undesirable stuff" . You have some at the bottom of your matte, but you have a plan to remove it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]