FORUMS: list search recent posts

updating illustrator files with added layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Engelkemier
updating illustrator files with added layers
on Jul 15, 2016 at 3:43:18 pm

Do you folks have any tricks for this?

Here's my current process. Maybe it's already as streamlined as it can be, but I thought I would ask in case this could be faster. So here goes:

example:you have an illustrator file with 5 layers. Import that into after effects as a composition so you can animate each one as a different object, and your on your way.
Now, someone says "hey, I updated that file so you'll need these other 4 layers added"

No problem. I'll just add that to my AE saved version of the illustrator file (it's in RGB instead of the CMYK most people seem to use) and I head back to AE. But they are different objects, so it doesn't update. It would only have updated pieces if I changed the existing layers that it imported.

here's the meat of the process if you're impatient
So I just import the file right over again as a new composition with new layers.
Now I copy the 4 new layers
paste them into the comp that I'm using
go back and delete the comp that I just created
Find the 4 added layers and move them into the folder in the project menu (if you don't do this step things get messy)
then I'm on my way.

SO. I'm looking to see if there is a more efficient way of getting those in. Plus, this process is a little easy to accidentally grab the wrong files. You can see if they are used or not, which helps. After you delete the newly imported file you can just show unused vector art. Assuming you don't have duplicate names for art that isn't in the same composition that Should be pretty easy. But if you have a big project, especially if you got it passed off from someone else *gasp* then it Could be messy.

Let me know what you folks think. I wish they would just have an Add feature, perhaps I'm just missing it.

Return to posts index

Ken Teutsch
Re: updating illustrator files with added layers
on Jul 15, 2016 at 3:57:06 pm

I haven't actually done this, but I understand that some people include several empty layers in their AI files...just in case. Then if something has to be added, you add it to the already existing empty layer and the file will update in AE.

Return to posts index

Andy Engelkemier
on Jul 15, 2016 at 5:31:14 pm

Thank you. That's a fantastic idea. I will definitely do that moving forward. I figured the solution to the issue was a simple workaround like this.
Excellent.

Return to posts index

Ryan Straube
on Feb 27, 2018 at 3:47:24 pm

I know this is a lot later than the original post, but you should be able to do an Import and select your file and choose to import it as Footage then select the layer you want in Layer Options > Choose Layer. You'll have to repeat this for each new layer you want to add.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]