FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering Speed in CC2014 vs 2015

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuose Osemeka
Rendering Speed in CC2014 vs 2015
on Jul 12, 2016 at 4:04:09 am

Hello

I have heard that rendering in CC2015 is slow compared to CC2014,is this true?

How can it be avoided?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Rendering Speed in CC2014 vs 2015
on Jul 12, 2016 at 1:39:59 pm

[Chuose Osemeka] "I have heard that rendering in CC2015 is slow compared to CC2014,is this true? How can it be avoided?"

After Effects CC 2015.x are the first releases of a major re-architecture effort to replace some of the 23-year-old, under-the-hood architectural assumptions that had put a performance ceiling over previous versions of Ae. The goal is ultimately to make Ae significantly faster on modern hardware, but it's a lot of work and they're not entirely there yet.

On the one hand, the entirely re-written preview engine in Ae CC 2015 is a big improvement over previous releases. On the other hand, Ae CC 2015 is still a bit of a work in progress. Multiprocessing is not currently implemented in Ae CC 2015, and depending on the nature of your project, that can impact render and preview times.

I am using Ae CC 2015 (13.5+) for my daily work in order to take advantage of the new and improved preview system, but I'm still using Ae CC 2014 (13.2) for long renders in order to take advantage of multiprocessing. Ae only changes the project file format on major version numbers, so any 13.x version of Ae can read and write the same AEPs, and it's no problem at all to bounce back and forth between 13.2 and 13.8 all day long.

As a CC subscriber, you are of course eligible to download and install Ae CC 2014 (13.2) alongside your current CC 2015 installation. They both work together fine. See these instructions:
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html#topic...

I think it's multiprocessing that you're referring to when you say you've heard that rendering in Ae CC 2015 is slow compared to 2014. There's a lot that's faster about 2015 -- interactive performance/rendering and expression evaluation especially -- but if you have a multi-core system with a lot of RAM, CC 2014's multiprocessing feature still beats the current release for shorter total render times.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Rendering Speed in CC2014 vs 2015
on Jul 12, 2016 at 2:38:51 pm

Walter is right, as usual. :)

Some things are actually faster in CC 2015.3. The new Lumetri effect uses the GPU to accelerate it and it is definitely faster compared to rendering the same effect in CC 2014 (and the newer effect also has some more features).

I actually haven't opened up CC 2014 at all at my freelance studio since I installed the newest version of AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]