FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slowdown in Simple Composition (screenshot included)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Roth
Slowdown in Simple Composition (screenshot included)
on Jul 10, 2016 at 2:03:59 am

I have an average PC I just built to handle AE on a budget. I'm working through the Adobe After Effects Classroom in a Book 2015 Edition, Lesson 11. This book is clearly designed to accommodate users with computers far weaker than mine. I'm a beginning AE user and I ran into extreme slowdown during Lesson 11 - "Using 3D Features." Here are my system specifications...

CPU: Intel I7 - 6700K Skylake 4.0 GHz
MOTHERBOARD: MSI 2170A ATX
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200 (4x8GB)
GPU: EVGA GeForge GTX 960
PSU: EVGA 220 550W
COOLING: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200 rpm 3.5"
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 BG 2.5"

I'm running both the OS, AE, and the cache files on the SSD (C:) and the footage and project file is on the 7200rpm 1TB internal drive.

I am halfway through the lesson and my composition looks like this...
x1 Camera (20mm, default settings)
x1 Light (Spot Light, colored blue, positioned as fill light above and to the side of text)
x1 Light (Spot Light, colored orange, positioned as key light above text)
x1 Text Layer (basic text, not extruded)
x1 Background Layer (1.0MB JPG photo)

The composition is 3D and Casts Shadows is turned to ON in the Material options properties for the text later, and the Diffuse, Specular Intensity, and Specular Shininess values have been modified by a few percentage points. Just after I add the camera AE basically freezes and experiences EXTREME slowdown to the point where I have to ALT+F4 out of AE. I have no other programs running. This is what Task Manager has to say...

All I'm doing is running a simple 3D comp with one background image, a text layer, two lights, and a camera, with no animation yet, and no effects applied. What's going wrong? The CPU usage reads 15% even though it is clearly maxing out at 4.15 GHz. Is this a Windows 10 issue, is it a hardware issue, or do I just need a 200 core 400 GHz liquid cooled system to run After Effects? XD

PS: If some vets could just quickly list the effects and features that are generally known to be the most performance hungry and AE that would help me a lot as a beginning user.

Return to posts index

hanna dean
Re: Slowdown in Simple Composition (screenshot included)
on Jul 10, 2016 at 3:48:42 am

i have same specs as you with gtx 980 and antec psu my efter effects run fine even on full mode.

if you have 2 ssd assign 1ssd for writing file and other ssd for reading.
press caps and go to edit / purge all.
right click on composition and disable 3d ray traced.
go to preference and select gpu rather then cpu in display settings.

Return to posts index

James Roth
on Jul 10, 2016 at 5:39:49 am

Ray Tracing isn't on, it's on Classic 3D. I just purged the cache and set Ray Tracing to the GPU (unsupported) and it still basically freezes when I add the camera layer. I just barely managed to undo the action of adding the camera layer and once the camera layer is gone the comp runs fine.

To make a quick test I just created a new composition with a blank white solid, two lights, and a camera layer. I even animated the solid to move away on the z axis and rotated the camera around it while the two lights were shining. Everything worked fine.

What's going on? :\

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on Jul 10, 2016 at 6:13:58 am

your camera layer what sort of camera is it and by the looks of it , it looks like its inlarged taking up alot of space.

can you go to your camera properties and copy and paste all these data here so i can just copy and past them into mine and se the effect of it.

Return to posts index

James Roth
on Jul 10, 2016 at 6:25:47 am

All I'm doing is adding a new camera layer at default settings.

I can't add the camera layer without almost crashing AE so here are the settings before I add it in. I tried my experiment from before (the new composition with 2 lights, camera, and a solid) and added text to it. The comp ran fine, for some reason this comp freaks out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]