FORUMS: list search recent posts

smoother panning of camera in AE comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Desiree Damon
smoother panning of camera in AE comp
on Jun 28, 2016 at 8:12:47 pm

I've been working on a video for a client, and I'm trying to make the movement as smooth as possible. It's essentially one long pan. When I play the rendered video back, it just looks jittery.

I've searched through the COW, tried different keyframe interpolations, frame sampling vs frame blending on my render, roving across time. This is the best I've gotten, but I'm not content with how it looks. I'd love some suggestions of how to improve it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/codhq8kvkd9cykd/AWA-test-new-roving.mp4?dl=0

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: smoother panning of camera in AE comp
on Jun 28, 2016 at 9:53:44 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jun 28, 2016 at 11:00:37 pm

Jeez, it almost looks like a frame rate mismatch. Is that possible?

30 vs. 29.97? 60 vs. 59.94? 23.976 vs. 29.97? Anything like that?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Jun 29, 2016 at 7:49:50 am

I would cut that panning speed to about 1/3 and add motion blur to the main comp that moves around. I agree with Dave that there appears to be a frame rate mismatch to boot.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jun 30, 2016 at 12:20:11 am

Not that it's helpful, but I had a similar issue recently with a photo-parallax comp that I built. No video in it, so no framerates to mismatch; I scrubbed the keyframes until they bled but couldn't figure it out.

However, when I did my final output from Premiere (in the timeline it was edited into), checking the "Use Highest Quality" button in the media export window seemed to make it go away. I can't guarantee it'll work, but...try it, I guess?

I second the motion blur suggestion, though--it would help make the motion you've got more natural.

Return to posts index

Desiree Damon
on Jun 30, 2016 at 2:00:17 pm

I tried the 'use maximum quality' option, and that helped a bit. As far as frame mismatch, I thought everything was 24 fps, but there was one nested comp at 29.97. Fixed that too, and it's still not quite there.

I'm fortunate enough to have time on this project, so I will rebuild the animation to make it so I can pan slower.

I appreciate all the suggestions!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 30, 2016 at 6:27:23 pm

Hmmmmm.... a 29.97 nested comp. I'm going to bet it's the people video near the end of your main comp.

I'm also going to bet that you rarely -- if ever -- work with video in AE. The frame rates you mention make that clue stick out like a sore thumb. So here's what I want you to do:

Find the video clip (or clips) in your AE project pane. Highlight it. Look at the information about that clip -- ALL of it -- and tell us all about it.

The chances are pretty good we can fix this hitch in your git-along, as long as you're willing to think in terms of TV frame rates.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]