FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dynamic Link - Will downscaling in AE then upscaling in PP lose quality?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Vaipan
Dynamic Link - Will downscaling in AE then upscaling in PP lose quality?
on Jun 16, 2016 at 10:49:02 pm

My workflow for some shots in one scene, 1080p footage on steadicam for a 1080:817 (4:3, don't ask), is to take it into AE where I can use Timewarp and Warp Stabilizer, downscale the footage to ~80% in AE so that I get as much of the shot into the PP frame as possible since the top, bottom, and sides are cut off, then later upscale back to ~100% of the original size in Premiere if Warp Stabilizer is cutting off some edges.

The comp in AE is 1920:1080 with footage scaled to 80%. This also allows me to reframe the footage in PP without losing the sides of the screen as Warp Stabilizer occasionally takes the footage beyond the scale of the comp.

Question is: Will downscaling in AE then upscaling in PP with dynamic link lose quality (or would that be solved by selecting "preserve resolution when nested")?

To preserve the edges for reframing during Warp Stabilizer in AE, should I just create a comp larger than 1920:1080 and then do all downscaling and upscaling in PP?

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Dynamic Link - Will downscaling in AE then upscaling in PP lose quality?
on Jun 17, 2016 at 12:07:53 am

[David Vaipan] "Question is: Will downscaling in AE then upscaling in PP with dynamic link lose quality (or would that be solved by selecting "preserve resolution when nested")? "

Technically, yes, there will be a quality loss here. Pr will see rendered output from Ae and will be unable to access the original pixels before the transformation. But as you note, some scaling is inevitable for stabilization.

"Preserve resolution when nested" means that if you set a comp to, say, Quarter Resolution in its viewer, it will render in other comps at quarter res (though the layer will still be full-sized).

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]