Track Matte Won't Work with 3D Layers in Ray-Trace

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Taylor Morgan
Track Matte Won't Work with 3D Layers in Ray-Trace
on Apr 22, 2016 at 10:51:03 pm

Hi all,

Having an issue here.

So, I have some font and a line that I want to move out from behind a logo that has transparency and there is moving footage behind it, but I cannot just duplicate the footage since it changes for each episode and they might change speed of the animation in Premiere, etc. When everything was in 2D, it worked fine. I used Track Matte; no problems. However, now that I am in Ray-Trace and everything is in 3D, the track matte no longer works and is also grated out in my options.

How could I get this to work?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Track Matte Won't Work with 3D Layers in Ray-Trace
on Apr 23, 2016 at 3:12:15 pm

Time for Plan B. Ray tracing and track mattes don't work.

Depending on your AE version you may have C4D Lite bundled to do extrusions. Adobe dropped all development on Ray Tracing.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Taylor Morgan
on Apr 23, 2016 at 4:22:35 pm

I actually found a work around after I posted this; just have to precompose the 3D and lighting in Ray-trace first and then track matte the pre-comp in classical afterwards.

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Apr 23, 2016 at 6:45:59 pm

Yeah, that's the way. I put all my Ray Traced stuff in it's own precomp to avoid working in Ray Traced comps. Really limiting, but the advantages of using the Ray Trace engine are pretty sweet at the moment. Pretty soon tho, nobody will be using it when the C4D integration with shape layers comes out. Imagine using bend deformers with extrusion and rendering faster than the Ray Trace engine?

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]