FORUMS: list search recent posts

enhance primary/secondary colors template

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Wright
enhance primary/secondary colors template
on Mar 25, 2016 at 8:26:45 pm

an after effects template that works similar to viveza that has the ability to enhance individual primary and secondary colors by pushing them into solids not the ugly flourescent saturations. example, if your sky is cloudy, or you want to increase color contrast, get a kodak vision look, repair a green screen matte with greater than 60 ire, etc.

ae cc 2015 aep
9917_colorpunch.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: enhance primary/secondary colors template
on Mar 27, 2016 at 9:12:37 am

Hi Chris,

Seems like a good idea, but without any documentation I found it impossible to use. Could you explain how to use this template? Such as how to replace a different size footage into it, what the sliders actually do. What the neutral values are (0 or 50) etc. I couldn't figure it out even after showing the "shy" layers.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 27, 2016 at 2:53:20 pm

hmm, yes you're right about documentation. Sorry about that. Well let me see if I can make it clear. Just right click replace landscape.jpg with your own footage. If your footage resolution doesn't match the composition, you can use the free
http://aescripts.com/rd-compsetter/
and also make sure the adjustment layers right click set to comp size.

the controls layer has slider to adjust the tolerance and final output has a gamma layer to add back in lost gamma during the processing.

obviously if this was an actual plugin, most of this would be fully automatic :)

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Mar 28, 2016 at 10:41:00 am

rd_compsetter didn't work for me even at legacy_ui settings (no apply button), and so I painstakingly changed all comps and layers to the dimensions of my footage (1920x1080).

I used some green screen footage to see what it does.

When I lift the green setting the middle greens went fully green and the dark greens went gray.

I have some bright orange clothing on the footage, and when I lift the red setting, the mid orage goes magenta and the darker shades go gray and white.

What is actually supposed to happen?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 28, 2016 at 8:33:53 pm

Ah yes, it seems that if you give it very saturated colors, it will wrap 32bpc all the way around back to white. I wouldn't call this a bug per say, just a limitation. It doesn't expect perfectly lit keys etc.(good job btw) It expects blown out whitish colors with low saturation.

Thanks for the update. I'll see if I can make it smarter.

I guess you got "adobe'ed" ;)

update; I just did a check, there is a "middle point" of saturation which can swing either way. either super white or super green. interesting... just use the slider pass its "point of no return" and it works perfectly. you can drag beyond the slider's point.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 28, 2016 at 8:56:11 pm

ok i fixed the "bug", i changed it from classical to divide and it seems to be smarter now.
here's the update.
9925_colorpunch.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 28, 2016 at 9:03:11 pm

holy cow, this works better than i anticipated! i dragged the slider to 1000 passed its "point" and went from white-green to chroma key awesomeness!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Mar 29, 2016 at 6:37:01 am

Ok, so I gather this is intended to work primarily to selectively saturate light, desaturated colors?

In which cases would you recommend using this template instead of Selective Color?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Apr 5, 2016 at 2:23:41 am

ok, i didn't want to report back without comparing. it looks like selective color still follows a somewhat whitish/saturation transfer while mine pushes into the pure solids. Mine also seems to make keying easier where you don't need multiple keys.
plus mine is 32bpc so actually is higher quality. selective color for some reason is only 16bpc...

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Apr 5, 2016 at 3:03:33 pm

Alright then. Thanks for the clarification.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]