FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to animate exploding leaves / growing plant animation?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
how to animate exploding leaves / growing plant animation?
on Oct 5, 2015 at 12:04:01 am

So I saw this nice effect of a growing plant which first grows and then the leaves fly down and go everywhere so it kinda explodes. Here is the effect I am talking about

How do I do this in AE? Something with particles? Was this maybe done in a 3d program and it isn't that easy in AE? Tell me your thoughts, please.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: how to animate exploding leaves / growing plant animation?
on Oct 5, 2015 at 12:58:18 pm

Trapcode Particular will do it. Controlling the emiter, time and using a custom particle will be requiered.

https://vimeo.com/fernandomol

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Oct 7, 2015 at 9:33:26 pm

can you suggest any good trapcode tutorials to me that will let me pull off this effect? i have also uploaded the effect to youtube. i mean first the stuff appears and then it flies away. the appearing is just some clever masking? wouldnt even exactly know how to pull off that masking / the growing of the leaves

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Oct 5, 2015 at 5:15:08 pm

In my opinion the example doesn't use Particular -- with Particular you can create a much more realistic result than this.

They don't rotate in 3D nor even in 2D. They just move around, first out from a center point then down, in a wave-like motion. It almost looks like motion sketch has been used to individually animate the particle positions only.

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Oct 5, 2015 at 9:43:40 pm

can you explain this any further in detail like a step by step guide so i can try to rebuild this and look at the result. i don't know what motion sketch is.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Oct 6, 2015 at 8:40:49 am

Motion sketch:

Particular is a whole different matter, it is a commercial plug-in for AE, and fairly complex one at that.

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Oct 7, 2015 at 9:34:25 pm

here is the same effect again this time without any stuff on it and better quality. do you really think motion sketch was used on every single leave? i mean every leave goes to another direction. i also wouldnt know how to animate the spawning of those leaves. its some masking or something. any advice is welcome. thanks.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Oct 13, 2015 at 7:57:00 pm

The spawning of the leaves is done by animating the scale from 0 to (something).

I don't know how the animation was actually done. I'm saying that it looks like it might have been done that way (motion sketch).

There are many ways of creating this type of animation, most of them more realistic than the example, and most of which require a plug-in of some sort to accomplish. Particular and Element 3D have been mentioned, both of which would make the particles move in 3D and could be controlled with some master controls, not requiring each individual leaf to be animated.

Even in "plain" After Effects, you could make the leaves 3D layers and make it look way more realistic.

But the leaves in the sample video are clearly not rotating in 3D. They are only moving and scaling. Which is why I was suggesting the relatively easy option of using motion sketch. The other options are more advanced: for instance, expressions could be used to create the motion of the individual leaves so that you wouldn't have to animate each by hand. But coming up with the expressions would likely take as long or longer than animating them by hand.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Oct 9, 2015 at 8:40:13 pm

You could probably achieve this with the Element 3D plug-in, which not only does 3D rendering, but also has very powerful particle controls built in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]