FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating the effect of comet over water similar to deep impact

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Keating
Creating the effect of comet over water similar to deep impact
on Feb 2, 2015 at 9:54:53 am

Hi, I'm trying to emulate this scene from Deep Impact in After Effects.

I have a number of plug-ins at my disposal to attempt this including

Newton 2 (For the Gravity feature?)
Element 2 (I'm using Jetstrike to create a fighter jet zooming over an ocean, which I could probably also create with textured planes in E3D for the ocean.)
Trapcode Form (For a displacement map?)
Particular. To create some splashing water particles to follow a null object in E3D.

Anybody ever tried this or have a suggestion on an effective approach? (I am trying to avoid Cinema 4D cos I've already maxed out my budget on software/plugins for the moment.

There's probably a really simple solution that I am overlooking - but if anyone has any ideas pls let me know.

Steve K

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Creating the effect of comet over water similar to deep impact
on Feb 5, 2015 at 6:09:32 pm

[Steve Keating] "I am trying to avoid Cinema 4D cos I've already maxed out my budget on software"

Cinema 4D comes free with After Effects CC and later. Details here [link]

This is not an easy shot to attempt. Getting the jet and smoke trails won't be hard, but getting the water to react...

You can create some pretty realistic water textures in C4D or Element. You could distort the surface of the water in C4D, but not Element. You can have animated bump maps in C4D and Element (for when the jet flies over). You would create those in AE.

No matter how you make the ocean, you could add distortion in After Effects with Liquify (or similar effects) to make the water move out of the way. Then several layers of Particular (with some blurs and such) to make spray.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Steve Keating
Re: Creating the effect of comet over water similar to deep impact
on Feb 5, 2015 at 9:50:48 pm

Thanks Michael... that's a great help... I was scratching my head over trying to shove a cpl of fractals in but ur idea sounds perfect. Many thanks...

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]