FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I achieve this effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Nox
How do I achieve this effect?
on Nov 23, 2014 at 7:22:52 am

At 1:25, between the talking part and the film title there's a transition where the image disintegrates (like burning paper). The effect can also be seen clearly at 1:32.

I would like to know the name (or sites for tutorials) for the effect. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Gigi Marzo
Re: How do I achieve this effect?
on Nov 24, 2014 at 12:18:08 pm


I think this is a "ink reveal transition" or "ink blend": if you search on youtube I believe you can find this tutorial effect or something very similar!

(sorry for my little english)

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
Re: How do I achieve this effect?
on Nov 24, 2014 at 10:21:38 pm

You can do this in After Effects using a black mask, alpha inverted track matte, roughen edges, and mask expansion.

Setup your comp in this way:
Layer 1 black solid (roughly 2x the size of your comp)
Layer 2 footage 1
Layer 3 Footage 2

On the black solid draw an ellipse mask, doesn't have to be perfect, you can free hand it, in fact it sells it better if it isn't perfect. Add the effect "Roughen Edges" to the solid layer. Adjust your settings to either get a real soft or extremely detailed edge. After you have that, keyframe your mask expansion until the mask is completely off the screen (this is why you need the larger layer size). Then set your Layer 2's track matte to alpha inverted and there you go. All in after effect ink reveal effect

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved