FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rotating object tracking and changing shape in After Effects.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jens Henkel
Rotating object tracking and changing shape in After Effects.
on Oct 9, 2014 at 7:39:45 am

Hi

I need to create a rotating object that changes shape. For example, a rotating car wheel which then turns towards or away from the camera as though someone is turning the steering wheel. So the wheel would start off as a round shape, easy enough to key that in and make it turn. But now as the wheel turns to steer the car the shape will become oval. How do i keep the wheel turning naturally while the shape becomes oval.
Help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Jens

Return to posts index

Derek Boettcher
Re: Rotating object tracking and changing shape in After Effects.
on Oct 9, 2014 at 9:18:19 pm

My best advice for you to do is to make the wheel a 3D object and rotate it in z space. That way it stays circular, looks like it spins in 3D space (because it does) and then you don't have to mess with what you are trying to do (which is most likely more work than you think it is).

Here is the reason why: If you are making a 2D circle shape rotate like it is rolling, and then change it to an oval, it will still continue to rotate wherever the anchor point is just like it did before, except this time, the edges will be all messed up (which is probably what happened here). There may be away to do it with some clever effects usage, but I think the better and easier way to pursue this is to make your 2D circle a 3D object and manipulate it to turn toward or away from the viewer, like it is turning.

Best,
Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group
http://bthmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jens Henkel
Re: Rotating object tracking and changing shape in After Effects.
on Oct 10, 2014 at 7:34:31 am

Hi Derek

Thanks for the response. You are right that it will probably be easier to remake the object in 3D. I am still not sure how to track the shape as the object turns though.
I have uploaded a video of one of the other, more complex objects. But the idea is the same as the turning wheel.

https://reels.creativecow.net/film/head-turning

In the clip you will see a toy with a gas mask. I want to make the front of the mask, the part with the holes, spin. Then continue to spin as the head turns. Is there a way to track the shape of the front of the mask and have my animated part follow that shape while continuing to spin?

Apologise if my explanation is terrible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]