FORUMS: list search recent posts

Got an image of a lightbulb, I want to fake the lightbulb flicker that syncs to the beat of an audio

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Lee
Got an image of a lightbulb, I want to fake the lightbulb flicker that syncs to the beat of an audio
on Dec 12, 2013 at 3:49:45 pm

I took an image of a unlighted lightbulb from google and imported it to AE. My idea is to make the light bulb flickers on and off, syncing to the beat of an audio. I got the idea, but don't know what to do. So far I just isolated the unwanted background of the lightbulb image with the pen tool. now what?

Return to posts index

George Goodman
Re: Got an image of a lightbulb, I want to fake the lightbulb flicker that syncs to the beat of an audio
on Dec 12, 2013 at 7:49:23 pm

First you need to convert your audio to keyframes. Then you'll need an expression on the opacity of whatever layers you want to effect.

Something like this should work:

on=100;
off=0;

if (thisComp.layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Both Channels")("Slider")>8) on
else off

You'll want to change that value to whatever level works for you. If there is a hard beat, it should spike, so find where that is and what the value is. Then plug that number in.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Sebastian Lee
Re: Got an image of a lightbulb, I want to fake the lightbulb flicker that syncs to the beat of an audio
on Dec 13, 2013 at 3:15:12 am

I am blurred. I'm kinda new to expression since expression is the hardest part of AE so could you pls show me how in a proper procedure? like do we need to do parenting and stuffs... I've done with Convert Audio to Keyframes. then?

Thank u sir

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Dec 13, 2013 at 3:43:35 am

Once you've converted your audio to keyframes, look through the values of the keyframes. Determine what value you want it the light to be on during. Usually you'll see spikes in volume with drum hits, so you should see an increased value every time this happens. So if you see that the keyframed number is 8 or higher at every drum hit, then you would use the value 8 like I did in the expression I provided.

In order to enable the expression, option-click (alt-click on pc) on the stopwatch of the opacity property on the layer you want to effect (the lightbulb I assume). This places some text in a box to the right of it. Delete that text and replace it with the expression I provided you. Change that 8 to whatever value you want. Note that the expression says whenever the keyframed audio is greater than "8" the light will be on. So at 9, its on, 10, it's on, etc. Play with that number until you get it right.

Remember though, this will only turn the lightbulb layer on and off. If you are trying to make other things turn on and off at the same time, you'll need to apply the expression to those layers as well.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]