FORUMS: list search recent posts

cut vid in half and place 2nd half under first AE5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gary Jarvis
cut vid in half and place 2nd half under first AE5
on Dec 8, 2013 at 3:37:41 pm

hey guys,
I have a LED wall that is 2224px x 96px my processor only goes up to 1920px wide.
What I would like to do is cut it in half 1112px x 96 and then, bring the second half and place it under the 1st half. I can then lay out my tiles in two rows numerically to run as 2224px.
Thanks Gary

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: cut vid in half and place 2nd half under first AE5
on Dec 9, 2013 at 5:50:14 pm

Huh?

Why just 1920? Why can't you make it the horizontal dimension you need in your comp settings?

And I'm totally stumped why a processor would make any difference whatsoever.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

gary Jarvis
on Dec 9, 2013 at 7:08:50 pm

Thanks for your response Dave,
The basic logic is that the processor in question has input and output cards, the max out put is 1920 x 1080, the actual size of the wall is 2112 x 96 and hey mate there is nothing I can do about, it's all I have to work with.
So, what can I do to make this work, (the show must go on) what I think I can do is to bring two versions of the vid into AE cut both of them in half i.e top one 1st half 1006 x 96 2nd layer I use the last half, I then dragged the lower 1/2 under the under the top half and hopefully create a 1006 x 192 vid and rendered a movie.
In my LED wall software I can create two rows of tiles, the top one being 1 thru 11 and the bottom one 12 thru 22.
The question I have is, how do I merge the two vids?
Thanks
Gary

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 9, 2013 at 7:21:55 pm

I think you need to contact the people for whom you're doing the work and get their delivery specifications: horizontal & vertical resolution, frame rate, media container and codec.

I can see no reason why you should be constrained to 1920x1080, no matter what kind of card is in your machine.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 9, 2013 at 7:35:48 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "I can see no reason why you should be constrained to 1920x1080, no matter what kind of card is in your machine."

When Gary refers to a processor, he's talking in this case about the device that actually controls the LED tiles. It has a live 1920x1080 input (via HD-SDI or DVI), and for 1:1 mapping onto his tiles, he needs to provide the output to the wall within a 1920x1080 frame.

In other words, instead of providing video that looks like this:

He has to provide video that looks like this so it fits inside the raster:

And then the LED processor can re-map it back to 1234567890 on the tiles.

Gary, I don't really understand what your sources here are. Are you starting with a 2112x96 piece of footage or comp?

If so, probably the easiest way to conceptualize this is to create a 1056x96 comp and drop your 2112x96 footage into it. Select the footage layer, hit the A key for anchor point and set this to [0,0]. Hit the P key for position and set this to [0,0]. This will position the upper left corner of the footage at the upper left corner of the comp, giving you one half of the image.

Duplicate the comp. Open up the new comp and select the footage layer. Hit the A key for anchor and set this to [1056,0]. This will slide the footage over, giving you the other half.

Create a 1920x1080 comp, drop both of these precomps in, and position as necessary.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

gary Jarvis
on Dec 9, 2013 at 9:47:40 pm

Thank you Walter for clarifying my situation and thanks for your answer, I'll put it together tonight.
My apologies for not being clear enough Dave and, do appreciate your participation
All the best guys and thanks
Gary

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Dec 11, 2013 at 10:07:00 pm

I'm a little unclear on what your source is as well, but could you just drop the footage in a 1920x1080 comp and use CC RepeTile?

_ _
(°_0)/

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Dec 11, 2013 at 10:14:31 pm

To be more clear:

Take the footage, mask the first half, duplicate it, change the mask to subtract, place it underneath the first one manually, precomp it (making sure the comp settings match the size, bring that into a new comp of the size you want (1920x1080?) and use CC repetile

I think that'll do what you're looking for, but I'm not totally sure.

Anyway, hope that's helpful

_ ,,,,, _
(°_0)/

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]