FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keying out an off-white background

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachalo
Keying out an off-white background
on Sep 2, 2013 at 2:03:32 pm

Shot some talent in a studio against pure white infinity cyc. Made the mistake of NOT lighting the background a full stop more than the talent. Or reducing the light on the talent by a full stop.

Now if i want to key out the background, or at least try and make it pure white in post, is difficult without ruining the image. Simply using a luma matte key does not work

Are there any tricks or techniques that might help with this type of footage? Perhaps some combination of track mattes, garbage mattes and keys?
Should i stick with keylight instead of the luma matte effect?

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Keying out an off-white background
on Sep 2, 2013 at 4:16:32 pm

I'd start with the Extract effect, not Keylight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Sep 2, 2013 at 5:05:35 pm

Jim -

You can also get some great results using the RotoBrush. You have to go through a tutorial or two to wrap your head around it, but it goes very quickly once you get it.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on Sep 2, 2013 at 5:41:19 pm

Thanks!
Great help
I've found using the extract to create a luma track matte gets me much closer. Perhaps in combination with the rotobrush and -or simply a garbage matte to clean up a few of the tougher shots and I'm good to go.

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]