book transformation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar Birk
book transformation
on Dec 17, 2012 at 8:22:25 am

Hi everyone

I just got this job:

A person is reading a book. He closes the book, turns it and reopen it. When he reopens the book, it transforms into a laptop. And i have to make it look clean and simple, not too much of that "techno" feel.

The whole scene is a one-take point of view angle, where u only see a couple of hands opening the book.

Any good ideas on how i can do this the best way?

I have poor experience with CG, so I am wondering if I can get the same result with cleanplates and comping two shots together. Any inputs?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: book transformation
on Dec 17, 2012 at 3:52:33 pm

Before you even start thinking about shooting this, you need to plan it. It starts with a lot of sharp pencils and paper. Draw out what you want to see. Identify the trouble spots.

Here's an example:
Unless it's a book printed it Hebrew, pages normally turn from right to left as you read or browse. A laptop opens from the bottom to the top. They don't open the same way. You need to resolve that issue.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Oscar Birk
on Dec 17, 2012 at 4:00:29 pm

yes, in the script, the hands turn the book around before opening it up thats the plan :)

my plan, is to film the book and the laptop independently, on a perfectly lit, green surface. I am filming it in 50fps to make it easyer to sync up the movement on the two clips perfectly. It will hopefully give me what i need.

I hope this works..

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 17, 2012 at 4:16:36 pm

Here are additional questions to ponder:
Are book and the laptop the same dimensions, so the hands will be at the same edges?
How will you ensure the book and the laptop will be in the same position and angles to minimize post work?
When will the transformation take place: before or as it reopens?
How will you ensure hands are in the exact same location from book to laptop, and opening each in the same amount of time?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Oscar Birk
on Dec 17, 2012 at 6:30:32 pm

You are very right...

I think, if i still want to do this, i have to film it 3 seperate times.

1. Hands
2. Book
3. Laptop

I will need a string to pull the screen.. The hand movement is going to be the hard part.. Gonna give it a try

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]