FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shape layer dashed line issue. When the shape path grows the dashes travel along the shape path. Is there a way to limit this?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Bowman
Shape layer dashed line issue. When the shape path grows the dashes travel along the shape path. Is there a way to limit this?
on Aug 28, 2012 at 9:40:15 pm

First, please see video here: http://reels.creativecow.net/film/dashed-line-issue

What's going on:

I have tracked a jib shot in Mocha AE. I've pasted the mocha shape data as a mask on a shape layer. The shape layer has dashes and gaps setup to create the dashed line in the video above. My issue is that since the shape changes size over time the dashes "travel" along the shape's path as though I have the offset parameter animated. However, I do not have the offset animated.

Question:

Is there a way to make the amount of dashes the same over time; a way to not have them moving as the shape changes? Perhaps a different way to create a dashed line in AE other than the shape layer?

Right now as the shape expands, the dashes increase which makes it look as though the dashes are traveling along the path.

Eric Bowman
assemblycreative.com
ericsbowman.com

Return to posts index

Eric Bowman
Re: Shape layer dashed line issue. When the shape path grows the dashes travel along the shape path. Is there a way to limit this?
on Aug 29, 2012 at 3:22:03 am

Well due to deadlines I went the brute force approach and just keyframed the offset parameter of the Shape layer. Not perfect but it will probably do. I would really like to know if there's a way to fix the behavior I'm getting in the video I linked to in my first post.

Eric Bowman
assemblycreative.com
ericsbowman.com

Return to posts index

Andrey Sibiryakov
Re: Shape layer dashed line issue. When the shape path grows the dashes travel along the shape path. Is there a way to limit this?
on Aug 29, 2012 at 6:54:56 am

I would do exactly as you did.

You shape is changing its perimeter, so dashes will shift anyway.
Another way to do it was to increase dashes size.

Return to posts index

Eric Bowman
on Aug 29, 2012 at 12:49:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought about that. Probably worth messing with that.

I understand what you are saying too, the perimeter is changing so you have to add more dashes. However I was hoping there would be a way to "lock" the number of dashes in so that if the shape is altered/scaled/etc you the shape would just scale and warp. Not adjust the dashes along the path. Hopefully that makes sense.

I don't know if it's even possible, but one idea I had was to precomp the shape layer in the "kidney bean" shape I have in the video. Then use the tracked shape from motion as a distortion for the precomp. This would achieve what I'm looking for, but I don't think AE has this capability right? I know we have Bezier Warp and Mesh warp but that doesn't allow such fine control.

Feature request Adobe! Warp Mask!!! :)

Is there a plugin that does this already and I just don't know about it?

Eric Bowman
AssemblyCreative.com
EricSBowman.com

Return to posts index

Andrey Sibiryakov
on Aug 30, 2012 at 12:09:49 pm

You know, I think there is the way to do it through morph effect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]