FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice: Replacing Green ball with CG glass orb (Scrshots included)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vassil Vassilev
Need advice: Replacing Green ball with CG glass orb (Scrshots included)
on Nov 9, 2011 at 2:13:47 pm

I have a project and I want to make the character to hold a glass orb in his hands. For the test I was holding a small green ball in my hand (pic 1.) I used keylight to get rid of the chroma key and adjusted the orb behind the "hole". The problem is with the tracking. What is the easiest and efficient way to track this footage, so that the CG Orb always remains on the place, where the green ball was. Tried with the integrated motion tracker to track 2 markers on the green ball, but did not work very well. One note: The CG Ball is 2D video footage, it is not generated in a 3d program.

Picture 1:

Picture 2:

Picture 3:

Nothing is impossible...

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Need advice: Replacing Green ball with CG glass orb (Scrshots included)
on Nov 9, 2011 at 8:42:57 pm

Do you have an image with the tracking markers on the green ball so we can see them?
To be honest, tracking it is probably the best way to do it. You just may need to work with the tracker a bit more. There are a lot of things you can do to improve a track.
Also, don't apply your tracking data to the orb layer; apply it to a null object and parent your orb to the null.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Vassil Vassilev
on Nov 9, 2011 at 9:24:02 pm

First of all, thanks for the reply. Yes I apply the tracking data first to a null object and then parent the orb to it. For this test I did not actually used a green ball, because for now I dont have one, but for the real project I will paint it green. I used Roto Brush, because the result is almost the same. However, here is a picture of the markers:

The tracker tracks them good, but when i test with the orb, while moving my hand it slowly starts to run away from the required position. I adjust it manually at some frames, but the final result is not quite satisfying.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 9, 2011 at 11:19:42 pm

Does the null object "run away" or just the Orb after it's been parented? Which properties are you tracking (scale, rotation, position)?

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Vassil Vassilev
on Nov 9, 2011 at 11:40:08 pm

The null object stays pinned to it's exact position. But the problem is that the orb moves a little at certain moments and I can see the transparent "hole". First I have tried tracking with all the 3 features: scale, rotation, size. The result was awful, because the sphere is 2d. The best option was to track only the position.

Nothing is impossible...

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 10, 2011 at 2:27:47 pm

[Vassil Vassilev] "First I have tried tracking with all the 3 features: scale, rotation, size. The result was awful, because the sphere is 2d."
I don't quite understand you. Why would the 2d layer have anything to do with how it worked? Oh wait, does the hand turn the ball around? Or does it just carry it?
Anyway, if the null stays locked on, there's no reason that the orb wouldn't. Unless the scale changes, in which case, animate the scale.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Vassil Vassilev
on Nov 10, 2011 at 5:29:38 pm

Ok. Thank you very much for your help. I will try :)

Nothing is impossible...

Return to posts index

Nick Bibbo
on Feb 11, 2012 at 8:00:08 pm

Hi Guys,

Came across this thread because the effect is very similar to what I want to create in my next short film. I want it similar to what's seen in this video:

I'm sorta new to Adobe After Effects, Does anyone know step by step what goes into creating the effect as seen in the video?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 16, 2012 at 3:44:10 am

I do know step by step, but there are far too many steps to write down. I will give you some terms to Google though.

Day for night for the overall look. (Poorly done in this video, but whatever.)

Particle effects/lens flare for the initial light.

Displacement map for the impact.

Motion tracking for the (very unrealistic and awfully composited) fire and debris elements.

Energy ball (Video Copilot has some good tutorials for this...in fact, they have good tutorials for all of these techniques.)

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]