FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop pixel for 720 pixel DVD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Harvey
Photoshop pixel for 720 pixel DVD
on Jan 25, 2010 at 8:43:28 pm

I created Photoshop 720x480 as I selected under Film & Video. It is for FCP but letters show pixels on HDTV. My DVD project is 16:9 and it is not HD. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Photoshop pixel for 720 pixel DVD
on Jan 25, 2010 at 8:56:36 pm

[Laura Harvey] "It is for FCP but letters show pixels on HDTV. My DVD project is 16:9 and it is not HD. Any suggestions?"

If the project is destined for 16x9 DVD, why are you even bothering to look at it in HD?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Laura Harvey
on Jan 25, 2010 at 11:48:36 pm

Dave LaRonde: If the project is destined for 16x9 DVD, why are you even bothering to look at it in HD?

Because I viewed DVD on HDTV. That's why font text look pixeled.

Next person said that it will be always be pixeled on HDTV if using SD 16:9 DVD.

So basically I stuck with it. Just wonder if I can create DVD SP as HD DVD and use SD 16:9 video and using photoshop jpeg as HDTV.

Will that work?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 26, 2010 at 4:09:17 pm

[Laura Harvey] "...Just wonder if I can create DVD SP as HD DVD and use SD 16:9 video..."

Note: HD DVD is dead. Blu-Ray won the battle of High definition disk playback. You may as well ask if you can make a Betacam copy of the project.

The only way you will fix the bad look of blowing up the project is to increase the resolution. You can look into Red Giant Software's Instant HD -- see if it will help in your situation. Under normal circumstances, it helps a little.

[Laura Harvey] "....and using photoshop jpeg as HDTV. "

Sure -- make the Photoshop document in HD resolution.

There are no magic wands that make everything perfect when going from SD to HD.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paolo Ciccone
on Jan 25, 2010 at 10:15:02 pm

If you create a video at 720x480 and the watch it on a HDTV it will always look crappy unless you disable the upscaling. HDTV, depending on the model, is either 1280x720 or 1920x1080. On a 720p you have 921,600 pixel per frame, on 1080 you have 2,073,600. Your PS image has 345,600 pixels. There is a ratio of 2.7 times magnification for 720p and more than 4 times for 1080p. Upscaling always gives you pixelation. If you enlarge your image in Photoshop 3 or 4 times you will get the same result.
That's the reason why all SD shows look worse on HD TV than on a conventional TV.

--
Paolo Ciccone
Pret-A-3D
http://www.preta3d.com
http://www.paolociccone.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]