FORUMS: list search recent posts

From AI to PS to AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Smith
From AI to PS to AE
on May 2, 2016 at 7:03:18 pm

I have some black shapes in AI. I want to put them into PS and do some embossing. Then I would like to put them in AE as vectors.

Is that possible? I'm guessing probably not.

Assuming it is not, what is the best import/export sequence to follow? When I just export the AI project as a PS document, I get layers that I can't even precisely position as the Transform panel has nothing inside it.

Lastly, in PS, embossing is turning my black shapes grey. Is there a way to emboss black shapes? Or someway to make the grey that PS emboss gives me darker? I don't see any way to experiment with that.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: From AI to PS to AE
on May 3, 2016 at 9:40:29 am

If you want them as vectors, it is best to skip the Photoshop step and bring the AI shapes into AE either as masks or as shapes. There is an emboss effect in AE that is similar to PS.

You can add a curves adjustment after the emboss effect to make the shapes darker.

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on May 4, 2016 at 1:44:13 pm

Thanks Kalle. You're the best!

I got something I like. But I also wanted to experiment with debossing. Can I do that in AE?

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on May 7, 2016 at 1:50:30 pm

Debossing is really nothing more than turning the light so the effect seems to go down instead of up. -90 to 90 degrees with the AE emboss effect looks like deboss, and 90 to 270 degrees looks like emboss.

If you want something with both, use exactly 180 difference between the embossed and debossed shapes' lighting direction.

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on May 8, 2016 at 10:02:07 am

Thanks! I figured that out. Somehow I thought the algorithm might do something more involved.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]