FORUMS: list search recent posts

CS4 Newbie - How to timestretch and output a speeded up video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ivan Horvat
CS4 Newbie - How to timestretch and output a speeded up video
on Dec 22, 2015 at 8:41:41 am

I have a 3 hour clip that I timestretched into a 10 minute timelapse. The composition is only 10 minutes - however the canvas is still 3 hours. How can I shorten the entire clip to only 10 minutes so I can render it to an avi?

Also is there a standard procedure to create clips like this? I've googled and I have tried a couple of suggestions but the clips never come out.

Appreciate any help. And I know this is pretty basic for CS4 users.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: CS4 Newbie - How to timestretch and output a speeded up video
on Dec 22, 2015 at 2:05:10 pm

When you say the "canvas" is 3 hours are you referring to the entire working area of your composition or are you referring to the layer? If it's the layer, go to the 10 minute mark, where the clip would ends at the time remap and press "alt + ]" to trim the layer to the CTI(current time indicator).

If you meant the composition, press "Home" and then "B" to set the beginning of your work area(if you haven't adjusted your work area, it will already be set there). Then go to the 10 minute mark, and press "N" to set the end of your work area. Lastly right click in the work area defined portion of your timeline and from the drop down select "Set Comp to Work Area". Now your comp should be 10 minutes.

Alternatively, you can press "cntl + k" to open up the comp settings and manually change the duration of the comp to 10 minutes.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: CS4 Newbie - How to timestretch and output a speeded up video
on Dec 22, 2015 at 3:12:03 pm

There IS a standard procedure for time lapse video -- shoot time lapses. It's not video. It's a sequence of still images shot at regular intervals.
And you don't go out and just start shooting time lapses with the expectation of immediate success. It takes a set of skills you need to learn. Things like calculating the intervals to take shots to get the desired speed. Things like compensating for proper exposure in changing lighting conditions. Things like attaining any desired camera motion.

That's just three things. There are more. Shooting a great-looking time lapse requires skills. Fortunately, you can develop them.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]