FORUMS: list search recent posts

[Noob Ques] Dissecting files to learn.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jai Verma
[Noob Ques] Dissecting files to learn.
on Sep 30, 2015 at 12:54:54 pm

Hi! I'm using after effects for the first time, due to lack of time, I'm trying to download some templates and learn by going through each layer and see how that technique was used. Now this may come across as a very silly question but its kind of important to me.

There are 2 copies of a vector art created in AI which somehow makes it look like it has bevel or extrusion applied to it. I tried opening the file in AI but its just a flat path with some text on it. There's no effect on it. But in my comp window, it looks like its infact a 3D object. I checked the renderer which again was on classic 3D so that means it wasn't created with raytrace renderer method. If someone could help me figure out how to get that 3D effect in classic 3D renderer I'd really appreciate it.

Attaching the image to show what I mean.
Thanks in advance
I can share the original file if someone needs me to

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: [Noob Ques] Dissecting files to learn.
on Sep 30, 2015 at 2:28:34 pm

Most likely you can see in the Effect Controls panel what effect is being used.

Your image didn't unfortunately get included. If you can't figure it out, the original file would be good to see.

Return to posts index

Jai Verma
on Oct 1, 2015 at 10:37:29 am

Thanks a bunch for your reply Kalle Kannisto, I checked the effects and apparently its bevel alpha effect on it. I tried to do it on my own vector but failed to get the same results.. any idea why?

From observing this template what I could understand was that he used 2 vectors on top of each other with some spacing in between and made it look like its only 1 object after the bevel alpha effect. But when I try to do exactly how he's done it, I get a pretty rubbish result. It doesn't even look 3D and the text written on the rear vector gives mirrored effect(opposite) even after flipping it. I'm attaching all the the files including the one I'm working on. If someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong I'd greatly appreciate it. I just want a little 3D effect on my vector by the same method used in this template so I can finally move on to the animation part. Thanks in advance.

The Image which didn't show up here-https://www.dropbox.com/s/4aiczdu1trpwbwi/Untitled-1.jpg?dl=0

The file I'm using for reference (look for calender block 25 precomp)- https://www.dropbox.com/s/3yow3yzaxzcwgx2/calendar-flip-template.zip?dl=0

The file that I'm currently working on- https://www.dropbox.com/s/5tlr0fwo2ng5ec3/Jai.rar?dl=0

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Oct 1, 2015 at 1:28:50 pm

In the precomp the calendar block 25 layer has 3D enabled and 1 copy of it set back in z space by 8 pixels. On the bottom layer, press "T" and change the opacity to 50%. Now in the comp window set the from Active or front to Custom view 1. You can see the offset clearly.

Then in the final comp the drop shadow and bevel are added to give the fake 3D look to the calendar. Simple as that. Stacking layers is an old trick used in AE to fake depth.

Here's an old example project I did, using a similiar technique with multiple layers. Created 1 layer, enanbled 3D, then duplicated it and changed the color. Then added a simple expression to offset it z space and duplicated that a bunch of times. Basically the same thing he did, but I used a bunch of layers so I could rotate completely around my object without seeing through it.

9309_extude.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jai Verma
on Oct 3, 2015 at 12:35:02 pm

Thanks John Cuevas, I really thought that I understood what the creator of this author did, but when I tried to apply the same technique, I couldn't get the same results. The only problem I'm facing as of now is that I cannot flip my bottom vector layer so the text on it is readable and not mirrored. I have tried multiple times with several precomps but failed to get the text right. Also, even after applying the bevel alpha effect like in the template, my vector still looks as thin as a paper. There's no illusion of extrusion like in the template.

Note: I have my 3D layer on but still my vector appears 2d even after giving the proper spacing like in the template.
If someone could go through my file and let me know what am I possibly doing wrong. I'd be forever indebted :P

Again, thanks a lot. This community seems very helpful.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Oct 5, 2015 at 12:34:05 am

If you upload your file, I'll take a look at it.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Jai Verma
on Oct 5, 2015 at 12:00:46 pm

Its already there in one of my previous posts.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Oct 7, 2015 at 2:26:25 pm

The problem was that your 3D Calendar Set, didn't have the continuous rasterization button pressed(looks like a little sun). That button when makes your transformation move forward into later comps, like movement in Z space. If you go to the quarter turn mark in my "Final Exaggerated" project, turn off the rasterize button and you will see the difference.

Here's a good explanation of Continously Rasterize/Collapse Layers Button

9318_calendaranimation.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]