FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Hi-Resolution Photos in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Bodhaine
Using Hi-Resolution Photos in AE
on Sep 25, 2015 at 8:45:43 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to AE but have some experience with various video editing tools. I am working on a project that has a scene where the "camera" zooms in for an ultra closeup of different parts of a car under the hood. The camera pans to different car parts and also has text callouts at each part. Since I don't want a pixelated mess by using a low-res photo, I used a photo that was 8512 x 5664 jpeg (from a stock site). Currently, I have the car image and the callouts in one comp. That comp is inside of the main/render comp which has all of the camera moves and light effects (like a vignette). Of course, I figured that my render times would suffer a bit, but not to the amount I experience. The entire comp lasts about 1 minute, but ends up taking nearly 4 hours to render using the following:

Adobe Media Encoder
H.264 HD 1080p 23.97

Computer:
Business Class Desktop
Ram: 8GB
Processor: i7-4765t @ 2.00 GHz
Graphics: APU (no dedicated GPU)
HDD: 1 HDD 7200 rpm

I know not having a dedicated graphics card does have some impact as does not having an additional HDD to write to. I just want to know if there is a way to setup my comp/project for faster render times. This would also help if I ever need ultra close up shots in a similar way in the future. I apologize if this may have been answered before, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for when I searched google or the forums. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Using Hi-Resolution Photos in AE
on Sep 26, 2015 at 2:21:43 pm

[Daniel Bodhaine] "I know not having a dedicated graphics card does have some impact"

Not really. AE uses the GPU for very little. Unless you've accidentally turned on the ray-traced renderer for your composition (or are using a third-party plugin like Element), the GPU is practically irrelevant.

What is relevant is the RAM. That is the minimum recommended amount. And you're using a really high-res photo. Not an ideal combo.
Your processor is also on the slow side - only 2.0 Ghz!

Another potential bottleneck is using Adobe Media Encoder to go directly to an H.264. Render into an intermediate codec using AE's render queue.

Also, what version of AE are you using (down to the last decimal point)?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Daniel Bodhaine
on Sep 27, 2015 at 5:39:37 pm

I don't have the computer available right now so I don't know the version number. However,I do know that the version of AE on it is is the lattest CC 2015 release. What would you recommend as a good intermediate export option instead of straight to H.264? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Sep 28, 2015 at 2:33:10 pm

Some people use Cineform, some use DNxHD, some use QuickTime with the PNG codec, heck, QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec would work too!

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Daniel Bodhaine
on Sep 29, 2015 at 12:19:11 am

Thanks for your help. Rendering directly from AE helped cut render times, along with reducing the resolution of the image.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Sep 29, 2015 at 1:27:20 pm

No problem. Glad to help. :)

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Sep 28, 2015 at 9:55:47 am

[Daniel Bodhaine] " I just want to know if there is a way to setup my comp/project for faster render times"

Make the photos smaller in resolution. Try halving the resolution and see if it would help.

Return to posts index

Daniel Bodhaine
on Sep 29, 2015 at 12:18:08 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to cut the resolution in half with no real degradation of picture quality. This helped cut the render time significantly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]