FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matching black levels with rotoscoped images

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Bull
Matching black levels with rotoscoped images
on Aug 9, 2015 at 6:11:56 pm

Hi All,

I'm very new to rotoscoping and encountered what I hope is a pretty simple issue. I have rotoscoped a series of people and placed moving text files behind them. Many of the characters are wearing darker clothing and lit in high contrast, which features many shadows.

On the computer screen, all looks well, but when I project the images I'm getting a "milky black" effect on the people, versus the true black I see on the text layers. Essentially, it looks like old school VFX matte work -- something out of the 80's TRON.

I'm sure I'm missing some basic step here. My only thought is to add a base layer of black slug under the entire thing, but perhaps that's not the route to take.

I am attempting to attach a still, but it won't show the issue well as it's off the computer.

Many thanks for suggestions!

Justin Bull

Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch
2.5 ghz Intel Core i7
16gb 1600 mhz ddr3
NVidia GeForce GT 750m 2048mb

Return to posts index

Justin Bull
Re: Matching black levels with rotoscoped images
on Aug 9, 2015 at 6:15:30 pm

9123_screenshot20150809at2.04.51pm.png.zip

Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch
2.5 ghz Intel Core i7
16gb 1600 mhz ddr3
NVidia GeForce GT 750m 2048mb

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 10, 2015 at 10:31:44 pm

AE has some basic tools that can do a lot of good, and you could start there. For instance, you might try applying the Levels effect to the rotoed figures, and tweaking the gamma.

Color correction can also get VERY involved, and people who get really, really, really good get paid the Big Bucks.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 9, 2015 at 7:29:01 pm

[Justin Bull] "I'm sure I'm missing some basic step here. "

You'll need to color correct the different layers to match whatever look you're going for. There's a bunch of color tools in AE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]