FORUMS: list search recent posts

Precomped Stroke Effect not showing up final comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Halder
Precomped Stroke Effect not showing up final comp
on Dec 2, 2014 at 6:58:14 pm

I'm having some trouble seeing my comp with a stroke effect (Production Premium CS5.5) so I'm hoping someone can help out . . .

I watched the Aharon Rabinowitz tutorial on masking a signature and applying the stroke effects to it. Each stroke of the signature is set to Paint Style: On Transparent.

I then precomped that so I could speed up the stroke on effect using the time remapping. If I RAM preview this comp I can see it.

Then I took that precomp and put it in a final comp with other graphics. That precomp is on the top layer. I can see the layer's bounding box when I select the layer but I cannot see the stroke effect/signature on. Also, all I can see is the precomp background color.

If I render it Lossless with Alpha, then import that movie back into AE, I can see the effect I want with all the other layers behind it. Problem solved? More of a workaround with a 4GB :30 rendered comp.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Precomped Stroke Effect not showing up final comp
on Dec 2, 2014 at 7:45:48 pm

I'm not sure what a "4GB :30 rendered comp" would be. That's a new one.

A file size of 4GB for 30 seconds of video is pretty darn big.
An AE project file that's 4GB is monster huge!
A computer running AE with 4GB of memory is underpowered.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nathan Halder
on Dec 3, 2014 at 7:18:19 am

Dave, sorry for the confusion.

I rendered my signature comp in Lossless AVI with Alpha and the size of the :30 comp is 4.6GB.

Can I use this? Sure. Do I want that taking up space on my media drive? No.

Also, I would like to understand why my prerendered comp of the write on (Stroke) effect does not seem to have an Alpha channel.

Return to posts index

Nathan Halder
on Dec 3, 2014 at 7:35:14 am

Here's an update. If I render my final comp in AE, the Stroke on effect is rendered.

If I use RAM preview or drag the pointer through the comp, it doesn't show up.

The obvious problem here is not being able to check size, positioning, effects before rendering.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 3, 2014 at 8:23:29 pm

If it were my project, I'd probably do a prerender of the animation. I'd use the AE Render Queue withe the Output Module set to make a quicktime movie in either the PNG or animation codecs, RGB+Alpha, Millions (or perhaps Trillions) of Colors+, Straight (i.e. not Premultiplied).

Hasn't failed me yet... unless I've done something dumb like prerendering a comp with no transparency in it. It's one of those Homer Simpson "Doh!" moments.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]