FORUMS: list search recent posts

Separate Foreground image from clean background

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Dempsey
Separate Foreground image from clean background
on Sep 30, 2013 at 3:51:18 pm

I know I've done this before, but for the life of me can't remember. I have a composited logo on one layer and the same clean background on another layer. I want to separate the logo and move it. I was thinking this was a difference matte. but i'm a bit stuck on what tool to use. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
td

tom dempsey

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Separate Foreground image from clean background
on Sep 30, 2013 at 4:02:36 pm

If I understand you properly, the logo is on one layer, the background is on the layer below it, and you want to move the logo.

Simple: just move the logo! The two layers are independent of one another.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Sep 30, 2013 at 4:12:26 pm

I think he means the logo is part of the same image as the background and he wants to separate the logo from the background and animate it. Is that right? If so, it would be easiest to cut the logo out in photoshop, so it's on it's own layer and then you'll need to clone stamp the background to cover up the logo. Then import into AE as a comp with "retain layer sizes" option and you'll be able to animate the logo. You can mask the logo in AE and clone stamp the background if you don't have photoshop, I just think it's easier in PS.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Tom Dempsey
on Sep 30, 2013 at 4:20:37 pm

I"m sorry. I'm not being clear. The logo is animated over the (background A). I have the (background A) animation clean and the composited logo animation. I'm just missing the alpha channel for the logo itself. I want to keep the logo animation. just have it keyed out. I believe there is a way to separate the logo from the background since i have the background clean.
thanks,
tomd

tom dempsey

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Sep 30, 2013 at 4:56:25 pm

Oh, OK. In that case you were on the right track to begin with. Just put the logo/background layer and the clean background layer in the same comp and apply the "difference matte" effect to the layer with the logo and then set the "difference layer" in the effect to the clean background. The quality of this key may vary depending on how "different" the background and logo are. If you have a white edge on the logo that goes over a white part of the background there would be no difference in the two layers so it would not include that part of the image in the key and you would end up with a chunk of the logo missing. HTH

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Tom Dempsey
on Sep 30, 2013 at 5:18:34 pm

great. very much appreciated.

td

tom dempsey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved