FORUMS: list search recent posts

sperm-like animation in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ivan dobran
sperm-like animation in after effects
on Apr 30, 2013 at 7:37:02 pm

Hi there, I need to create a sperm animation in AE. I've tried with a simple sine path set to stroke (a line basically) to which I added a wave warp effect. the problem is i dont know how to pin one end of the shape in order to have the head of the sperm attached. Any suggestions? tnx

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: sperm-like animation in after effects
on Apr 30, 2013 at 8:47:53 pm

If you build your stroke in a precomp(or even a layer) that is exactly the final dimensions of your sperm, then you can use the pinning to get one end to stop moving. I made an example project to illustrate what I mean, take a look and if you have questions fire away:

5932_spermanimation.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

ivan dobran
on May 1, 2013 at 10:41:11 am

Thanks a lot John, that's more-less what I did, I kind of pinned it on one side with the pinning option in the warp effect, only it doesn't really pin, it just makes it move less. I'll go for this option anyway cause the sperm is so little it will pass unnoticed.

I do have another question. This might be quite complicated but I'd just like to hear how would you approach it.

So I'm having lots of little sperms entering the frame, moving chaotically for a while and then starting to gather around a circular shape, like they would around an egg, so their heads are pointing towards the center of the egg and their tails are pointing outwards.

thanks a lot

Ivan

Return to posts index

ivan dobran
on May 1, 2013 at 2:22:17 pm

Thanks a lot John, that's more-less what I did, I kind of pinned it on one side with the pinning option in the warp effect, only it doesn't really pin, it just makes it move less. I'll go for this option anyway cause the sperm is so little it will pass unnoticed.

I do have another question. This might be quite complicated but I'd just like to hear how would you approach it.

So I'm having lots of little sperms entering the frame, moving chaotically for a while and then starting to gather around a circular shape, like they would around an egg, so that their heads are pointing towards the center of the egg and their tails are pointing outwards.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 1, 2013 at 3:08:52 pm

I'd use a particle system. I worked something up using Particular(you can download a free trial version) using the turbulence fields to give it some randomness. Precomp this, and then use time-remap to play the entire animation backwards.

I made another example project of the particular method. 5937_spermparticular.aep.zip

I tried the CC Particle World simulators, but couldn't get it to work and I'm not familiar enough with particle playground(though it's a pretty powerful 2D simulator-maybe you can make that work)

The other method would be to create some controller nulls, create a bunch of layers of sperm, randomly position them and then maybe parent them to the null and use scale to have them move closer and farther away from the egg. Basically, you would create most of the animation by hand.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on May 1, 2013 at 3:21:49 pm

While over at Red Giant*** I found this free sperm preset using a couple of particulars(one to make a very realistic sperm), maybe this will help you out. 5938_spermpreset.aep.zip

***if you end up using trapcode products, I'd strongly suggest registering with Red Giant People, they make great tutorials and have 1000's of free presets to download that are pretty easy to modify to one's project.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]