FORUMS: list search recent posts

PIP, Scaling Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin OBrien
PIP, Scaling Question
on Feb 12, 2013 at 11:41:19 pm

Hello All...

I'm learning After Effects and need some input on what is (for me) a difficult effect to figure out. Please refer to the 3 attached jpg images.
I'd like to begin the shot with a video sequence running inside the large white frame surrounded by the black 1920x1080 Screen. While the video sequence is running inside the white frame I need the frame to scale down in size AND move left of center (to the position in Image 2)
Finally I need the Text to Fade In (image 3) next to the Small Box.

Throughout all of this I need the video sequence running inside the Box.

I've searched for tutorials and some answer a few questions but I'm having trouble figuring out how to tie the whole thing together.

Thanks in advance for any constructive input...

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: PIP, Scaling Question
on Feb 13, 2013 at 1:57:13 am

Based on your picture and description it sounds like you want some video that is masked and the mask gets smaller. You can do that by using masks, but it's often simpler to use a solid that is masked and use that as a track matte for your video layer.

I made an example project with two different versions of this effect. One with the mask shrinking, the second with the video layer shrinking. 5440_scaleexamplefolder.zip

From your question though I'm guessing you have just started using AE. To put it mildly, this program will beat you up if you don't learn the fundamentals. Check out this link, do the beginning tours and then I would strongly suggest you do the VideoCoPilot Basic training that you will find on the page.

Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, & CS6)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Kevin OBrien
on Feb 13, 2013 at 4:38:00 am

Thanks for the reply...

The second example you sent is more of what I need... with the video layer shrinking. What I'm after is the video sequence (playing in the shrinking frame) to scale down with the frame proportionaly (so the whole video sequence remains in the frame as it shrinks)

Looking over the project files helps... and thanks for the link to the resources.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Feb 13, 2013 at 12:56:13 pm

Glad I could help. Is the problem that you want to have a "sequence"----a bunch of shots scale down together and it's not syncing?

If that's the case, what you want to do is create a new composition and call it "Seq". Lay out your video sequence in this composition. Now create a new comp and call it "Final" and take "Seq" and drop it into the the "Final". Now add a mask, and animate the position and scale like I did.

If you have more specific questions ask.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Kevin OBrien
on Feb 18, 2013 at 12:21:06 am

John... I've got a comp with the scale and position of the white box working well (Final Comp).
Just to be clear... Next I should create a second comp with the sequence of images ("Seq") and drop it into the Final Comp when its done. Should I Precompose The "Seq" comp (so it's all one layer)prior to dropping it into the Final comp?

Thanks...

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:32:29 pm

Creating a second comp(SEQ) and dropping it into the second, is creating a precomp. So if you were to take all your video layers and precomp them, then drop that into your final comp what your layer layer flow would be this: Final > SEQ(which is a precomp) > SEQ precomp. You are adding an extra composition that you don't need.

I'm not near AE right now, so I can't demonstrate this, but if you try your idea out, you can go open up the flow chart window and you will see you have one extra comp that is just flowing into the next. It won't hurt anything really, but it's just creating extra steps for yourself. For instance if you were working in "Final" and wanted to change one shot, you would need to double click "SEQ" to open that layer, then double-click the precomp. Always strive to streamline your organization if possible.

Hope this is clear.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]