FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noob confusion - effect doesn't appear beyond boundry of text box

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Jamieson
Noob confusion - effect doesn't appear beyond boundry of text box
on Feb 4, 2013 at 9:34:12 am

Hi there,

As a complete AE novice, I'm really confused by a most simple problem when applying an effect to a text layer: the effect gets constrained to within the text box boundary rather than extending beyond it as it apparently should according to the video I'm watching.

Screenshot: Above is my text and effect - bounded - and below is how it should look. Please - what am I doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance...

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Noob confusion - effect doesn't appear beyond boundry of text box
on Feb 4, 2013 at 3:58:31 pm

I'm not sure why CC Light Burst is constrained by the bounding box(other effects, like blurs, trapcode shine aren't). Your picture of the effect working doesn't show the layer/stacking order, so I don't know if CC Light Burst was added directly to the text.

Couple of workarounds though. Probably the easiest would be to precomp(Shift+Cntl+C) your text. Then apply the effect to the precomp. Precomping text is often a good workflow for lots of text applications as you can easily change/add effectsw or create duplicates and only have to open the precomp to alter the text.

Alternatively you could add an adjustment layer (cntl+alt+y) and put the effect on that layer.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

John Jamieson
on Feb 5, 2013 at 7:37:36 am

Hi John,

Many thanks for this, both your suggestions worked.

In the example I gave the CC Light Burst effect was indeed applied directly to the text:

Nevertheless, from what you say it seems that this particular effect has a problem and it's not just me,
which is a relief; although why it's working ok in that tutorial is a mystery!

Thanks again for your tips - very helpful.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 5, 2013 at 3:43:15 pm

John

I read in Adobe's forum that a guy enabled the Collapse Transformation Switch of the Precomp and the effect worked. Though It does not make any sense but you can give it a try.

See the Image Below:

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Feb 6, 2013 at 1:39:48 am

Looks like the problem is 2.5 didn't port into CS6 correctly. Strange, cause I just tried on 5.5 and it works okay, I was thinking it was a 64bit issue.

Anyway glad my workarounds will help you out and it wasn't something you were doing incorrectly.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 5, 2013 at 8:29:01 am

John

I applied the effect directly to the text and it worked fine. This is a common issue with CC Light Burst 2.5. The best solution is what John has already suggested.

Check the file below:

5376_cclightburst.zip

There are two comps in file, In first the effect is directly applied to the text and it is working correctly.

In the second comp the effect is applied to a comp which holds a text layer in it.

Both ways are giving the correct result in my CS3 version.

Though in CS6 version I got this bounding box problem.

I think the effect varies from version to version.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Richard Dawman
on Jun 14, 2013 at 6:34:44 pm

In Adobe After Effects CS6, it works on any text by turning the 3D Button to 'ON' for the text layer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]