FORUMS: list search recent posts

(Newbie) Correcting over-exposure

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William McQueen
(Newbie) Correcting over-exposure
on Dec 16, 2012 at 12:47:46 am

I've shot a stage dance production, but the settings were about 1 stop too high producing overexposure on one of two cameras.

However, at the very right of the stage and also very right in the frame is a sliver of space containing a percussionist that has a correct exposure. I would use this wide shot to cover short cu's shot with a second camera which is properly exposed.

Any suggestions on the best way of correcting the disparity. I will have to learn how to mask the correctly exposed "sliver" retaining as much detail as possible.

I'm using AE CS4. Any how to videos on getting started in this process?

Thanks so much.

Cheers
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: (Newbie) Correcting over-exposure
on Dec 17, 2012 at 4:24:57 pm

You can apply the Curves effect to an adjustment layer, feathering its sides to transition to proper exposure.

You can isolate the overexposed subject(s) by rotoscoping, then correcting the exposure on the subject(s).

You can apply either the Levels or Curves effects to the shot, then mask around the properly-exposed portion on a duplicate layer using a feathered mask.

Each of the above assume that the wide shot is locked down and the camera doesn't move or zoom. If it does, the process gets tougher.

Without knowing precisely what you're up against, either with a screen shot or with more detailed description, it's difficult to give any more detailed advice.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

William McQueen
on Dec 18, 2012 at 3:16:22 am

Thanks so much, Dave, for replying to this entirely newbie guy in AE. Over the years I have used Premiere Pro for editing and of course Photoshop, too, but never had any need to correct, so severely, very much of the footage, until now.

So, if you have the patience: I shot 2 cameras and the camera being used for close ups was for the most part fine, but the wide shot of the stage has overexposed hot spot(s) due to ceiling floods. However, I expect to use only 4 brief chunks and am hoping I can make changes to those four to reduce the over exposure. The other complication is that at the right side of the stage, the percussionist is appropriately exposed.

I've only used some of the effects in Premiere Pro (CS4 currently), I have my doubts about correcting the exposure, though, as in the stage-wide shots, there doesn't seem to be very much detail left in these hotspots.

So, I'm trying to keep optimistic about the learning curve and trying to do some test runs.

Well, I've palavered on long enough. Some questions

1. Should I begin the process from Premiere Pro, or open a project in AE?

2. Should I wait until I identify the four clips first and see how to isolate them?

3. Does each frame have to be adjusted, or how can a series of frames be affected by the effect?

Thanks,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 18, 2012 at 3:17:03 pm

I would cut together the project in Premiere Pro, using the wide shots as they are, to get picture lock. Then I would export only those wide shot clips for use in AE.

And then I'd use the techniques mentioned above. You're right that once detail is lost, it's lost. I fear that once adjusted, the blown-out portions will look odd, almost featureless.

You may have to come up with an alternative. You may have to cover the worst portions with other footage: graphics, stills, what have you.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

William McQueen
on Dec 18, 2012 at 10:40:54 pm

Thank you Dave. It was a good idea to match the footage and lock it prior to making any effects changes. Now, I'm waiting on instructions from the organisation as to the further changes she requires using this overexposed footage.

Thanks,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

William McQueen
on Dec 18, 2012 at 11:16:13 pm

Hi Dave,
I've identified one over-exposed clip of 15 secs and 7 frames. It sits above the "good" footage. I was going to try to export it into AE from Premiere Pro CS4, but don't readily identify how. When I right click the clip, the menu items include editing original, in soundbooth and "Replace with After Effects Composition". AE referenced command only strands Premiere Pro which just churns and churns away, but never goes to AE.

Thanks,
Bill in Toronto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]