FORUMS: list search recent posts

A line moving and creating some text (After Effects)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sadaf Zehra
A line moving and creating some text (After Effects)
on Nov 4, 2012 at 11:55:39 am

Hi,
I will be very thankful if anyone could guide me about an effect where a thin line is entering the screen, writes on any two words or a sentence and exit the screen moving in slightly random directions.
Regards,
Sadaf

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: A line moving and creating some text (After Effects)
on Nov 4, 2012 at 1:15:54 pm

You are going to need to provide a bit more detail or an example of what your are trying to achieve. Does this line when it gets to the where you want the words actually create the letters themselves(writes them on) or does the line just reveal the letters as it passes.

What you are describing reminds me of the end credits of the Bourne Identity, but I maybe be wrong on what you are trying to accomplish. If that is it though, here's a tutorial on how to achieve that effect.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Sadaf Zehra
on Nov 4, 2012 at 11:32:55 pm

Thanks a lot for your response. Yes, I want the line to create the letter (writes them on) and when finish writing it disconnects with last letter and exits the screen. I couldn't find an exact example and maybe I am unable to explain it correctly. I think it would be similar to flourishes (how a line grows and forms flowers etc). I know how to create self-writing text using masks but I am unable to connect and disconnect the line with my text.
Thanks a lot for your support.
Regards
Sadaf

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Nov 5, 2012 at 1:00:40 pm

Other than the line, what you want to do is very time-consuming. Basically you need to use strokes and write-on effects to be used as a track mattes for your text. It's not a hard technique to do, it's just a very time-consuming one.

Here area few tutorials to get you started:

Animating a flourish

Animating a Signature

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Nov 5, 2012 at 1:09:57 pm

There is another method you could use also, that is somewhat what you want. Create your text layer in AE, right click it and choose "create masks from text" Add the Generate > Stroke effect to the layer. Change the Path to "All Masks" and animate the end point. Now change the Paint Style to "Reveal Original Image" or "Transparent". If you go with reveal original image you can change the stroke size to act as matte and quasi paint on the letter. If you go with transparent you can use the stroked layer as a track matte above your text to reveal the text by increasing the brush size to a number large enough to reveal your text. Also with transparent, you can animate the letters with a fade up or linear wipe as the strokes are being created.

If you do this type of effect, if you do it quickly enough, people won't notice you really didn't do all the work of animating every single letter.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Sadaf Zehra
on Nov 5, 2012 at 10:26:16 pm

Thanks a lot. your guidance really helped. Thanks for all the support :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]