FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scratch/Dust Removal From Super 16mm (Clone Tool For 1-2 Frames Only?)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Boris Riabov
Scratch/Dust Removal From Super 16mm (Clone Tool For 1-2 Frames Only?)
on Sep 5, 2012 at 6:30:43 pm

Hello,

I'm currently trying to clean my final picture-locked film and am using the clone-stamp tool.
It is terrific; however, I'm don't know how to have the effect on just one or two frames from each of my clips, as the dust appears here and there - periodically.
I'm curious if there is any way to set in and out points to each 'clone' I do in each clip. If I don't than certain parts of the 'cloned' video interfere with the movement in the clip.

For example, my character stands next to the wall from which I remove several dust particles. However, when he moves in front of that wall the effect remains on him.

I'm placing three screen-shots below.

I'm curious if there's an easy way to do this; as if this Photoshop having the effect one just one frame.

-Boris

(White Dust Particle)

(Several Frames Afterward. Dust Particle Cleaned With Clone Stamp)

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Scratch/Dust Removal From Super 16mm (Clone Tool For 1-2 Frames Only?)
on Sep 5, 2012 at 7:16:17 pm

Mr. Riabov
Duplicate the main footage and try to mask out your main character from it. Then place it above the Original footage.
Here is a tutorial which may help you:

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist

http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Boris Riabov
on Sep 5, 2012 at 7:23:18 pm

This seems much to complicated. Isn't there any way to just have the clone-effect for one or two frames; turn it on and off, etc?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 6, 2012 at 2:23:28 pm

You can turn the clone on and off. Just open up the layer and use the clone tool over the scratch. Now in your timeline twirl open Effect ->Paint. You will see your clone, just grab it's end and slide it a few frames past what you need to cover up. Move to the next scratch and repeat. Tedious, but it should get the job done.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Sep 6, 2012 at 1:56:23 pm

Hi Boris

I dont have the answer to your question as such but this may be useful.

On my previous editing platform ( Flint ) I found the best way to sort this as below.

1 ) Load 2 copies of the clip into the paint module ( in AE terminology effectively 2 layers )

2 ) Slip the back copy a few frames.

3 ) use 'restore' as the paint option.

4 ) select small soft edged brush and zap evry speckle and scratch by hand on every frame using the keyboard to go backwards and forwards through the clip.

This works much better than cloning and you can achieve amazing results with this sometimes.

Its also much faster than you think because you can see it as you go and just settle down and get on with it.

I am newish to AE and not quite sure the best way to set this up -- maybe someone else with more experience can advise on this but it might be something like this ....

1 ) load footage

2 ) duplicate footage and slip bottom layer

3 ) add new white solid as a track matte to the top layer - ie key it fully over bottom layer

4 ) scroll through the comp using the arrow keys and draw on the matte in black ( assuming AE has a decent paint tool -- I've not tried that stuff yet )

This should work fine with a bit a patience to set it up.

If you do go down this route theres usually a few bits that dont quite work but just render it out and sort them on a second pass.

Sometimes it pays to slide the background clip sideways slightly as well - this can be good for scratches.

The problem with automated systems is that speckles etc are random and some stay up much longer than you think.

Cloning by hand can be a real pain because you need to keep selecting the area to clone from.

This might not work on AE as well as I imagine in which case apologies.

Chris Brett // uk

================================

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]