FORUMS: list search recent posts

Same footage 2x, one w/alpha, one without?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Chard
on Apr 29, 2012 at 2:57:51 pm

I'd like to layer the same footage on top of itself, but have the top layer use the footage's alpha channel, while the bottom layer ignores the alpha channel.

How would one do that?

Setting Interpretation globally affects BOTH Layers, I want to have one WITH, one WITHOUT.

THANKS!

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Same footage 2x, one w/alpha, one without?
on Apr 29, 2012 at 3:11:05 pm

Are you looking to have a Background color on the bottom layer? You could add Channel -> Solid Composite to the bottom layer.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Apr 29, 2012 at 8:40:31 pm

2 layers, same footage.

There is color information in the alpha area. I want to use that color informaation as the background. So, the bottom-most layer will not use its alpha, while the layer above, same footage, will use its alpha.

++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 29, 2012 at 9:10:16 pm

Okay I just tried this, I imported a graphic with an alpha channel and left it alone. Then I imported the graphic again, so I have two copies of it and set the interpretation to ignore. Same video with and without alpha channel. Is that what you are trying to accomplish?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Apr 30, 2012 at 3:35:38 pm

So simple? Dang! So, just import it twice, with different interpretations.

--I'm banging my head on my desk here.

Thanks!

++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Apr 30, 2012 at 3:35:49 pm

[John Cuevas] "Okay I just tried this, I imported a graphic with an alpha channel and left it alone. Then I imported the graphic again, so I have two copies of it and set the interpretation to ignore. Same video with and without alpha channel. Is that what you are trying to accomplish?"

You can also duplicate (cmd-d/ctrl-d) your footage item directly in the Project Panel and change its interpretation. You can even rename the individual instances of the footage item in the project panel to keep things clear.

Or you can duplicate the layer in the timeline and apply a Channel > Shift Channels effect with Alpha set to Full On.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 30, 2012 at 4:21:11 pm

Geez Darby, now I feel dumb for only coming up with one solution.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on May 1, 2012 at 6:01:02 pm

Haha! It's an Adobe application, there are always 10,000 ways to do it. Even keeping track of a fraction of them takes up a good bit of brain space.

I'm seriously afraid that when I get into my rocking chair years I'll be mumbling about blending modes and matte layers to my grandchildren.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]