Indiana Jones map trouble

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Gibson
Indiana Jones map trouble
on Feb 14, 2012 at 1:00:11 am

See if you can spot what's wrong here:

Yeah. The write-on effect. I followed this tutorial exactly:

Notice how when he adds another keyframed brush position that a line appears connecting the two locations - That doesn't happen with me.

Return to posts index

Greg Burrus
Re: Indiana Jones map trouble
on Feb 14, 2012 at 5:41:07 am

Not sure how you actually built yours in comparison to the tutorial but I did the tut real quick and the only way I was able to get sliding is if I put the effect on another layer in 3d space and offset the z position. Unless you have another effect that it is interfering with it it should work.

It would be hard to tell what is wrong in you scene with out a screenshot or a project file. I have uploaded my file for comparison 3691_writeoneffectfolder.zip

http://mogra.g2bproductions.com/ - Blog
http://g2bproductions.com/ - Portfolio

Return to posts index

Ryan Gibson
on Feb 14, 2012 at 5:46:41 am

"Not sure how you actually built yours in comparison to the tutorial..."

As I said in my post, I followed the tutorial exactly -_-

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Feb 14, 2012 at 12:27:20 pm

Without seeing exactly how you placed your keyframes, we are just guessing. If you collect your files and zip up the project - you can upload it here(last icon in the reply dialogue). I'd be happy to take a look and see if I can determine where the project got off track.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Ryan Gibson
on Feb 16, 2012 at 1:55:58 am

3717_mapanimation.zip

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2012 at 6:08:34 pm

This is a really easy technique, and you DO NOT need 3D to do it. In fact, 3D just gets in the way:
  • Put your big-ol' map in a comp, which is in the horizontal & vertical resolution you need to deliver.
  • Use tiny solids with circle masks or dots from illustrator to make the cities.
  • Position them properly, and parent them to the map layer so they move with the map.
  • Make a solid that is the exact size and pixel aspect ratio as your map layer.
  • Parent the solid to the map layer. Reduce solid opacity to make the map layer visible.
  • Using the pen tool, draw a mask path to define your route. Use as few mask vertices as possible. To do the entire mask path, it may be necessary to scale back the map layer first.
  • Refine the positions of mask path vertices as needed.
  • Apply the Write-on Effect to the solid, set it to Write on Transparent, and boost the solid's opacity back to 100%.
  • Adjust the keyframes for write-on so the effect takes as long as you need.
  • Animate the map's position property to keep up with the writing-on line.

Piece o'cake.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Feb 18, 2012 at 2:30:41 am

Disable the Continously Rasterize switch on the layer you have applied Write-On to.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Ryan Gibson
on Feb 18, 2012 at 8:29:03 pm

Can't switch of Rastersize, otherwise the image would be pixelized.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Feb 18, 2012 at 10:53:09 pm

[Ryan Gibson] "Can't switch of Rastersize, otherwise the image would be pixelized."

Well then you're stuck. You can't have both as you've set it up. It's just the way continuous rasterization behaves.

You could pre-compose the continuously rasterized vector image in a composition with the largest resolution you'll need, then you can place that large composition in your composition without the need for the continuously rasterize switch.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Ryan Gibson
on Feb 20, 2012 at 12:35:14 am

Ah, I see.

I'll try it out and see if it fixes the problem.

Thanks again, guys!

Return to posts index

Ryan Gibson
on Feb 24, 2012 at 5:21:42 pm

Thanks again! Got it all done!

I really appreciate your help, guys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]