FORUMS: list search recent posts

Placing an image of a car into a video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Li
Placing an image of a car into a video
on Dec 31, 2011 at 7:47:20 pm

So I'm asking anyone who can help to help me out on how to place an image of a car into a video. The scene is the main character wlaking down a sidewalk passing some parked cars. A specific car seems to be parked next to him every time.

I don't have access to the real car so I want to put it in "virtually".

Would this be the right procedure as to achieve what I'm trying to do?

1) Film/take a picture a model car in front of a green screen in the correct lighting/correct angle.

2) Track the street area where I want the car to be in Mocha.

3) Bring the data over to After Effects at which point I will bring the model car picture into my main video, chromakey the green out, add the data from Mocha to this specific layer, scale it down & position it correctly in the street.

Would this be right?

If it is, I have one more question. How would I go about having the car behind certain things, like a person passing in the foreground or a tree? I'm going to assume mask out the person or anything in the foreground? But that's as far as my skills allow because I'm unsure as to how to proceed after that.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Placing an image of a car into a video
on Dec 31, 2011 at 8:56:53 pm

It seems you have the steps planned out correctly. The real trick to selling this is compositing the car correctly, getting the reflections, lighting...everything that sells it as real.

In regards to tracking and placing it with Mocha, check out this tutorial and preset developed by Andrew Kramer, might be of use to you on this project.

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/magic_tracking/

If it is, I have one more question. How would I go about having the car behind certain things, like a person passing in the foreground or a tree? I'm going to assume mask out the person or anything in the foreground? But that's as far as my skills allow because I'm unsure as to how to proceed after that.

You are basically going to have a multiple layers to do this. First you take the footage you shot of the street, person walking... and drop in into a comp.

Let's say you get your car matched correctly into the video. That would be layed over the video you shot. Now you need to add another copy(or multiple copies) for every foreground object that passes in front of the car. There might be a few ways of accomplishing this, but what it comes down to is that you need to rotoscope those objects. You can use the mask tool(pretty good for trees), or try the roto brush(what I would use if I was working with people).

If you haven't used the roto brush, check out this page, it has links to a lot resources on how to use it.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3bf812c123007fb8513559d...

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]