FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple masks not working correctly.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Bercaw
Simple masks not working correctly.
on Dec 19, 2011 at 9:08:25 pm

Hi guys, I'm having a sudden issue I never experienced before in a very simple and straight forward project. I'm afraid it's something very easy to fix but I can not for the life of me figure it out.

Here is the title screen I made:

http://i.imgur.com/peVyf.jpg

The blue in the background is a solid, the red is a graphic that rotates, and the text is all precomp'd and just floats around. My problem is that I want to slap a vignette on it, but when I add a new solid layer that layer will fill the screen no matter what. Double clicking the elipse brings up a mask in the solid as if it was added, but it isn't there. If I manually draw more shapes with the pen or shape tools the outlines are visible but nothing else changes. I didn't tick anything out of the ordinary. The masks are set to Add, if I set them to Subtract they disappear completely.

I tried precomping the entire project and adding the vignette to that and it still does the same thing. What do I do to bring this on and how can I prevent it? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Simple masks not working correctly.
on Dec 19, 2011 at 9:23:08 pm

[Ryan Bercaw] "...when I add a new solid layer that layer will fill the screen no matter what."

That's because AE defaults to making solids in the same size of the comp.

[Ryan Bercaw] "Double clicking the elipse brings up a mask in the solid as if it was added, but it isn't there."

Are you looking at it in the layer tab, or in the Comp Window tab?

This is all really easy stuff, so I take it you're a newcomer. You should know that AE has many ways to confound those who try to learn the application intuitively. Sadly, some people give up on AE because they've refused to learn the basics. This is a good place to start.This is a good place to start: http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ryan Bercaw
on Dec 19, 2011 at 9:48:12 pm

Thanks for the quick response. What I was saying about the full screen was just that it was staying a solid and not conforming to the shapes, and I was definitely looking at the comp window, not layer.

I've done plenty of stuff like this before over the last few years and this is the first time I had this problem. Couldn't figure it out, minimized AE, posted here, half an hour later I open AE and without changing anything the masks work the way they're supposed to. Still clueless as to what happened..

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 19, 2011 at 11:13:35 pm

AE may be starved for memory. Maybe you don't have your multiprocessing settings right. It happens all the time.

If you goosed up AE's disk cache, it actually encourages AE to cache stuff even if there's memory available, which also is no good for speed in AE.

And of course, Open GL is little more than a cruel joke when it comes to making AE faster, so that gets turned off, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]