FORUMS: list search recent posts

see image sequence as one image/file by import

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pieter Jan Bleichrodt
see image sequence as one image/file by import
on Sep 20, 2011 at 8:19:09 am

I'm importing 8 layers with each 1800 frames. It takes al lot of scrolling when importing these items. Is there a way to see all the frames as one sequence when I'm importing files? I know you can import sequences but I wan't to view the files as sequences before they are imported.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: see image sequence as one image/file by import
on Sep 20, 2011 at 10:26:37 pm

[Pieter Jan Bleichrodt] "I wan't to view the files as sequences before they are imported."

I'm confused. If you set the AE timeline to display frame numbers, you can spot a problem frame by its number. It's much easier than importing of thousands of individual files.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Pieter Jan Bleichrodt
on Sep 21, 2011 at 7:28:35 am

I know that, maybe I'm not clear. I Want to see the frames as a sequence, before they are imported. The problem is I've got 8 render elements each element consists of 1800 frames. So there are 14400 frames in that folder and that is not very handy. If I see each 1800 frames as a sequence then I see only 8 files in the folder during improt. This way it's much easier to import the 8 elements.

I know that combustion let you see image sequences as one file so I hope after effects is also capable of doing that.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 21, 2011 at 2:53:25 pm

I can't think of a way to do that directly in AE as in Combustion. I can only think of a workaround, which would be to import each image sequence, place them in a comp one after another, then RAM Preview a short section before and after the change in layers.

Now that Combustion is an Autodesk product, it can take advantage of the proprietary hardware developed for software like Flame and Inferno. AE hasn't approached that level of integration yet. However, your expectation certainly reasonable, and would be a good feature request:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Sep 21, 2011 at 3:49:42 pm

if you import an image as a sequence, you don't need to select all the images in the sequence... so you don't need to select first 1800 of 14400 files to import the first sequence, just select one image of the first 1800 and make sure the check box to import as sequence is checked. assuming the sequences have different leading file names, there shouldn't be an issue.

if you wanted to import all the image sequences as different sequences all at once, simply do a select-all, then enable the option to import multiple sequences, all 8 sequences will be imported as single image sequences.

is any of this helpful? or am i misunderstanding exactly what you need?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 22, 2011 at 4:41:06 am

If you're working with image sequences, you need to check out Immigration. It makes working with image sequences much easier.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Pieter Jan Bleichrodt
on Sep 22, 2011 at 7:08:32 am

THanks! thats exactly what I need. But it isn't possible directly in After Effects? That's strange?

Return to posts index

Matthew Ingram
on Nov 16, 2011 at 11:05:26 am

This really should be built into After Effects by now :-/

Return to posts index

Pieter Jan Bleichrodt
on Sep 22, 2011 at 7:02:05 am

Thanks for the answer but yes you misunderstand me. Maybe I'm not using the right words, anyway:
When I import files I see something like this
spec01.jpg
spec02.jpg
spec03.jpg
spec04.jpg
spec05.jpg
spec06.jpg
spec07.jpg

But what I want to see is this:
spec(01-06].jpg

Because I have 8 sequences in one folder each consisting of 1800 jpgs it's taking a lot of scrolling around to import files

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 22, 2011 at 3:27:24 pm

[Pieter Jan Bleichrodt] "spec01.jpg
spec02.jpg
spec03.jpg
spec04.jpg
spec05.jpg
spec06.jpg
spec07.jpg

But what I want to see is this:"

Thank you for the clarification. You simply have to tell After Effects to import an image sequence:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Pieter Jan Bleichrodt
on Sep 22, 2011 at 7:04:47 am

Thanks for the answer but I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. What I mean is this:
When I import files I see something like this
spec01.jpg
spec02.jpg
spec03.jpg
spec04.jpg
spec05.jpg
spec06.jpg
spec07.jpg

But what I want to see is this:
spec(01-06].jpg

Because I have 8 sequences in one folder each consisting of 1800 jpgs it's taking a lot of scrolling around to import files

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Sep 22, 2011 at 11:58:34 am

[Pieter Jan Bleichrodt] "Because I have 8 sequences in one folder each consisting of 1800 jpgs it's taking a lot of scrolling around to import files"

you don't necessarily need to do much scrolling around, just select-all, check the option for multiple sequences and import. if you didn't want a few of those sequences in that particular project, toss them out.

i agree that it would be easier to have an option to view the sequences as a single file (like they look after importing), but i don't think this workflow is too difficult.

i think you should fill out a feature request form, it seems like ae could handle this. it can already separate multiple sequences, it jsut needs to show those sequences in the import window.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Tim Lenton
on Oct 20, 2011 at 11:21:44 pm

Hi, this might be helpful

if you have each sequence in its own folder (ie: spec01 folder with spec01 sequence inside it), all you need to do is drag that folder into your project window in after effects.

Return to posts index

Jos Wabeke
on Aug 28, 2012 at 6:40:12 pm

This should be a feature by now. Come on Adobe! Make this work! I struggle with this all the time. Buying a $44 script is not really what we need here. Please just make it so that you can see image sequences properly when importing.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]