FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE equiv to PS's "Create Guides" numeric ui

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Chard
AE equiv to PS's "Create Guides" numeric ui
on Sep 12, 2011 at 11:47:39 pm

In PShop, you can create guides at a specific pixel using a dialog.

I don't see a comparable utility in AE7. I don't want to laboriously position guides.

Does this exist?

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: AE equiv to PS's "Create Guides" numeric ui
on Sep 13, 2011 at 2:13:26 pm

You could create a null object, put it at whatever point you want the guide and snap the guide to the null.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Sep 13, 2011 at 9:05:22 pm

alternatively, you can create your guides in a photoshop file and import the psd as a composition. it should keep all your guides.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Aza Allen
on Nov 26, 2013 at 9:35:23 pm

This all sounds ike workaround hacks,. I have CS6 - have they fixed this yet, or is there really no way to precisely position/center a guide?!

My portfolio can be seen at http://www.ruesterprod.com
My personal website is http://www.azaallen.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Salman
on Nov 4, 2014 at 4:55:00 pm

I am trying to figure out the same thing (how to position a guide precisely).

Michael Szalapski mentioned the "snap guide to the null" technique. I can't find anywhere how to make a guide snap to a null (or anything else). Would someone mind sharing how to do that? Would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 4, 2014 at 6:12:52 pm

Hmmm. I may have been smoking crack or I may have just meant "place" rather than "snap".
And seeing as I've never done crack...

At 100% zoom level in the comp viewer, guides move on full pixels, so you can place them on exact pixels right where you want them if you sit them on a null (or solid or whatever). Granted, it doesn't snap, but when I tried it just now, I got it right where I wanted it pretty quickly with a null as a reference.

Now, I'm using CS5 at work, so things may have changed in CC or CC 2014. I know a lot of snapping was changed in CC, but I'm not at home to check.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jeff Salman
on Nov 4, 2014 at 6:20:31 pm

I was racking my brain and couldn't understand why I couldn't find any other posts on the web about how to snap guides to nulls or objects. There was another post below yours that gave an alternative approach to your technique, so it seemed like there were two people who knew how to snap guides to nulls. That explains it. Sounds good, and thanks for letting me know!

Yeah, I noticed that if I zoom in enough, I can place the guide precisely enough. Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]